LegacyGT.com

Building a Subaru Rally Car (link with pics)

laz

Guest *Jedimaster*
^ yea, about 200 to 300 man hours at least on the cage alone...

Fer rizzle? C'mon- who would spend 200 hours making a roll cage? :lol:

One of the Best Motoring International (BMI) episodes had a guest appearance by Tommi Mäkinen. They mentioned the Subaru rally car he drove on that episode cost $1 million :eek:

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Fer rizzle? C'mon- who would spend 200 hours making a roll cage? :lol:

or you can think of it this way:

3 people x 100 hours each = 300 hours

40 hours in a week...

a WRC roll cage of that calibre will be done in about 2.5 weeks.. sound better?

afterall, it is MAN hours.. you can get 100 people to work on the roll cage and it will be done in a matter of 3 hours.. (you know, like ABC's extreme makeover home edition of building a house in 7 days)..

last time I asked and checked, a WRC roll cage would cost around $20,000 to do.. this also included painting the interior and adding the rear firewall, it's part of the race-car preparation.. I full built SCCA GT race cage can be done way under that at something around $4k to $7k... if you really want to be cheap, you can get a full cage put into your car for just a little over $1500, but the last time I checked, I think my life is worth more than that.. so I'll get a better cage than that...

Keefe

unfortunately, it's not something you just whip up and weld it onto the car.. especially at that calibre when you are doing about 120 mph.. ever seen a really bad WRC wreck?

WRC - Crashes

WRC RALLY CRASH! CRASH!! CRASH!!!

Sorry to say, but I rather want the techs to spend a little bit more time looking over the structure of the cage if it has to go through that kind of rolling, even if it is 100 hours vs 300 hours...

Hey, you're talking to a guy that smashed up a WRX at the track, I know how much effort there is to build a very safe cage. ;)

Keefe

$20,000 isn't even counting the amount of time and money spent on engineering the roll cage. Even with fast computers, FEA still takes days to compute a single stress analysis on a roll cage and how it affects body stiffness.

$1mil for a WRC car isn't that outrageous. The gearbox alone is over $60K, that doesn't included the $10K computer to run the gearbox or the rest of the hydraulics. Rally cars are cheap compared with F1. F1 steering wheel is over $10,000 and comes with a 1000 page instruction manual and you better RTFM.

Archived