LegacyGT.com

Subaru's Auto-Transmission Nightmare: Look Inside the 5EAT Carnage! Teardown & Rebuild..

Posted (edited)

If you think rebuilding an engine can sometimes get complicated, take a look at the amount of parts and components which all have to line up perfectly for a transmission to function properly. Pretty amazing what engineers can come up with. Very cool video!

The Teardown:

And the rebuild..

And a very important tip for the Torque Converter..

The previous videos were great for tear down and reassembly; however, this guy goes over the names and general functions of all the components, very good video for a brief understanding of each component.. Speedkar99 (the toothbrush mechanic) really knows his stuff.

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

• RumblyXT changed the title to Subaru's Auto-Transmission Nightmare: Look Inside the 5EAT Carnage! Teardown & Rebuild..

rebuilding a transmission is the only thing i really haven't dirtied my hands on.  I did get to take apart and reassemble an STi 6-speed while in training, that was fun!  Also a lot of parts that need to go together just right, but not near as complicated as an AT.

On 5/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, silverton said:

rebuilding a transmission is the only thing i really haven't dirtied my hands on.  I did get to take apart and reassemble an STi 6-speed while in training, that was fun!  Also a lot of parts that need to go together just right, but not near as complicated as an AT.

Indeed! A lot of gears, clutches, seals and components in general that have to seat perfectly otherwise something can get jammed and the whole thing gets all mangled up lol. I’ll admit it looks intimidating at first, but I think it’s like everything, once you work on enough of them, it becomes second nature. Didn’t see him using/requiring too many specialty tools either, except for that Vice contraption on the video.

I find it interesting how the valve body, solenoids and all the wires and all electrical components work totally submerged in ATF without issues.

Anyways, I’m sure many here have seen plenty of these already, but I just hadn’t seen such well documented videos before. Once you get into knowing/rebuilding the transmissions on these cars, you’ve basically know how to take overhaul these cars completely.

Taking a second look at these videos I counted approximately 45-50 clutches if not more, not including all the snap rings, bearings, gears, pins, etc.. It would probably take close to a year of experience working on these before eventually feeling comfortable to overhauling one.. Not that it isn't not doable, but it's better just to leave it for the people that are doing these all day long, not worth damaging parts/components. But it's really interesting and rather fascinating how everything just fits together in there, working in unison. Transmissions are a true marble of engineering.