LegacyGT.com

LibGT 2.5 Wagon. Lights keep randomly failing

This is my wife's car. So she drives it, and she is the one that reports light failure.

The car has incandescent high beam and parkers and HID low beam.

The trouble is that at first, the RHS (driver's side ) low beam HID went out...sometimes. Every time I had a look, it would work again. It SEEMED that driving the car would cause it. But it was not repeatable, as often it would keep working after a drive, or fail without one.

Then both HID lights went out, again sporadically. Again I could not usually fault it when I had access.

Then my wife reported that none of the lights worked, including the parkers. But when I checked, they all worked.

We took the car for a back roads drive, to try to both heat the system and give it a bit of a shaking....when we got back, and at various checks during the drive, the lights all worked.

Later that afternoon I checked again and the RHS HID (low beam) had failed again.

I hate intermittents. Has anyone any ideas? Where do I look for a possible dodgy connection that randomly controls different lamps?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

OK, thanks.

I do not think this car has normal halogen bulbs for the low beam.. There is a driver module for the low beam , that makes a quiet high pitched buzz. The bulbs have a wire that is outside the bulbs that I assumed was the high voltage wire to drive the HID.

What gets me is the fact that the high beam and parkers are incandescent and they are failing as well.

BUT......I will start to once again deconstruct the front end of the car. 🙁

7 hours ago, OldNick said:

BUT......I will start to once again deconstruct the front end of the car. 🙁

You could just go under the wheel well and peel back the liner to get quick access to the back of the headlights, but it is narrow if you have big hands. It would be easy to just quickly check the wires at least.

Edited by Alexmed2002

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alexmed2002 said:

You could just go under the wheel well and peel back the liner to get quick access to the back of the headlights, but it is narrow if you have big hands. It would be easy to just qquickly check the wires at least.

Yeah I have done both methods (man I can't believe what a crap job it is just to change a light globe! No wonder I see so many modern cars with one headlamp). The trouble is also that if you go through the wheel well you are working blind _and_ cramped.

4 hours ago, NVAKeith said:

I believe JDM models had HID available from factory. Maybe a dying HID ballast on that one light?

But as I said, the trouble spreads to various lights, including the high beam and parkers. :( The one HID just seems to be the most common. I don't want to spend hours mucking about "chasing the ace" as the lights randomly fail.

Edited by OldNick