LegacyGT.com

Greasy George's Discount Lube

Just wanted to mention that the 2005s are arriving at the dealers with "factory scum" on the underbody. It's just protectant, but to the untrained wrenchmonkey, it can look like a fluid leak. I had the kids at Valvoline Instant Oil Change say that my front diff was leaking badly, which I took with a grain of salt. None the less, I checked my diff fluid a few times, each time it was at the same level, right between empty and full (with the diff completely cold, it's at full when the fluid's hot). I had some spare time and am about to take a roadtrip, so I dropped by the dealership just to make sure. Sure enough, there's a big splotch of yellowy factory scum right behind the front diff, but the fluid's right where it should be. It didn't come off with a rag even while hot, so it's going to be there for a while. If you end up under your new Leg, don't panic.

I had a very helpful salesman explain it was a coating used to protect the car during shipping. It would eventually burn off. I had another very devious salesman point it out and try to tell me it was an "undercoating" used on every Legacy and Outback and would need several months to "cure".

You can use a quick lube (most people won't recommend it), just NEVER use them for a coolant flush and a Subaru. Several places have done the coolant flush without allowing the car adequate time to cool while being flushed with cold tap water. That equates to a much higher possibility to failing head gaskets.

Archived