LegacyGT.com

3.0L H6 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit?

Is there a power steering seal replacement kit for the 3.0L H6 engine combo? The kits I'm finding are for 2.5L engines... PS pumps are showing as different part numbers between the engines and the FSM specs different output pressures/flows.

Replaced the inlet elbow o-ring but the leak persists (PS oil seeping on top of engine behind the pump). New suction hose is on the way but want to get the seal kit lined up if that doesn't fix it...

Symptoms are: overflowing reservoir, loud whining noise when turning, "knotchy" feeling steering when turning the wheel. I suspect it is ingesting air somewhere on the suction side but if I'm on the wrong track other advise would be helpful.

Edited by aero901

• 1 month later...

I went through this a few months ago.

Apparently no there is no h6 ps pump seal kit aka mr subaru on utube.

My fix was in the end ps fluid with magic ingredients and turning full lock to get out the air.

Actually this may be your solution. Have you tried purging your rack. Its easy.

I was able to get this fixed and it wasn't the PS seals. Suction hose was hard as a rock and not sealing around the pump inlet nipple allowing air to get in. The new hose was all that was needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Just order the rebuild kit for the earlier ez30d. It is the same as the kit for the ez30r, but you do have to reuse one of the original seals. Sunsong 8401578 Is the one I used on my 2005 3.0r.

• Like 2

The power steering recently leaked out completely through a leaky rack.

I refilled with a local premium brand transmission fluid called penrite.

It hasn't leaked since and the reservoir is still full. >6 months later.

My assumption is the penrite contains seal conditioner additives.

Based on this experience I recommend others try as a first step fluid replacement with a premium product containing seal conditioning agents.

I can't remember what seal it was that I re-used, but the kit has been installed and has been working fine for around 6 months. I had a leak in the same spot as you on my car and it was more the tube going into the top of the pump and the o-ring on the pipe fitting that solved my leaks. The rebuild kit just gave me peace of mind that the pump would keep working properly.