LegacyGT.com

Kings Springs - Sedan vs. Legacy

mara_the_avar

Good afternoon,

I accidentally bought Sedan instead of Legacy springs for my '08 outback (Legacy :P). I only realized this after putting them on the shocks

I know that the sedan spring rate is progressive 160-195 lbs/in in the front, and 180-380 lbs/in in the rear.

The wagon spring rate is progressive  120-240 lbs/in in the front, and 310 in the rear.

I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to return/exchange/sell them and replace with the wagon springs, or just try to go with it. Previously I had Raceland coilovers; I've only put them on in the front and I can tell the car is a bit lower. I'm concerned as my mechanic told me the car might not pass due to being too low in the rear...presumably the sedan springs would be much lower due to the low progressive spring rate?

On the other hand, I like the progressive rate & the fact that they're somewhat higher rate at the maximum. Not sure what to do. Partly just being impatient, rationally I know I should just take the loss and try to return/sell them...

If you don't mind ordering more parts, get a 3/8" Delrin spacer for the rear and the effective travel of the spring is dropped, thus raising the spring rate. Many of us wagon owners do this because, with the exception of Swift springs, most are made for the sedan and cause the rear to sag. 

Did you buy stock springs from Subaru? I can't imagine that, if your local inspections fail for lowered cars, that OEM springs will cause issues.