LegacyGT.com

5eat steering wheel buttons

john.di.martino

No I havent thought of that but wanted to disable "A" button on each side so right was + only and left - only. Apparently you can also change around the sports mode in the 5EAT, so instead of pushing forward for +, you pull back for + which makes a lot more sense. Even Neil Bates picked up on that in the BFYB. Apparently its just a wire. And no Subaru wont do it or tell you how to do it, I asked !

I have no problems with the gear stick shift arrangement. I also think that the current arrangement of the buttons at the front of the steering wheel having both a + and - on both sides is no problem as it gives the option of using either side especially when turn the wheel. I think that there would be less flexibility if you disable a button on both sides. However if there was a paddle type arrangement behind the steering wheel, I agree that it would be better to have the + on the right side and the - on the left side. John

[quote name='john.di.martino']Has any one looked at the possilility of installing paddle type shift buttons on the 5eat. Although the existing buttons are great I feel it would be more comfortable using paddles behind the steering whee. Is there any way the paddles could be installed? John[/quote] I like this idea a lot. I'd love to see paddles that work, even if it is more for looks, i.e tap the paddle on one side for a upshift, and tap the other side for a downshift. I love this idea. oh man, the gears in my head are turning now. :twisted: - Mike

[quote name='agctr']I wonder if any of the racing car manufactures put out a generic plug and play system? That would be interesting ? Adam.[/quote] Even if the paddles worked like buttons, - press the paddle - it's still be pretty cool. I must research this now, I'll post back with any findings. - Mike

[quote name='john.di.martino']It appears that people with BMWs are able to retrofit Paddle Shifters. I wonder if the BMW steering wheel woll fit on to the subaru? [url]http://www.google.com.au/search?q=paddle+shifter+retrofit&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=20&sa=N[/url] John[/quote] good find - I got better - [url]http://www.bmw-paddleshift-retro.com/[/url] That is the site for the maker of that mod. :D He seems like a die hard BMW fan, wonder if he'd be interested in sheading some light into this. hmmmmm here is a pic: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~paddle.shift/SMG_wheel_wood_trim.jpg[/img] - Mike

I'm wondering if it is possible to do two chrome shifters, one side just does the upshift, I guess wire it to the button that does the upshift and kill (or cap) the other wire, on the other side do the same thing, but wire it to the downshift part of the wiring. - Attach it to the back of the steering wheel I guess where it give a nice click feeling when you tap it. - Mike

Archived