LegacyGT.com

What brand/type of tire chains are good?

mtnsubie

I'm in N. Cal, where tire chains/cables are required to drive on snow-covered roads, even for AWD vehicles in some conditions.

Which brands are good? I don't go very often so I don't need the super duper models, just something quick and easy to put on (if there is such a thing).

What's the word?

I thought I read in our owners manual that we shouldn't use them with our all wheel drive system. Did anyone else see or hear of this?

Oh, my. When all else fails, read the manual.

Hmm, that could be a problem, because there are many times when having AWD is not enough because of tire limitations (poor traction). I don't need to be slipping and sliding.

dude,

I just came back from my 3rd trip to tahoe this year, and you have 2 choices.

1)get some Hankook W300 Icebears (which ride better i.e. quieter and with better grip than the RE92's in ALL conditions)

2) just get some cable-type chains. The Zig-Zag ones work the best, but the ladder-type ones are fine (mine are lasdder-type cobras that you can get at any napa/kragen/etc. store)

I drove up and back from the bay area to tahoe during the last two big dumps (yes, as the snow was falling) with my RE-92's and Chains as well as the W300 tires, and the performance of the W300's was very impressive. The pros of having the snow tires far outweighs the con of having to pay a few hundred bucks.

1. the guy already said he only wanted chains/cables. doesn't want snow tires. i feel the same way, for routine CA driving, snow tires are gonna be an uncomfortable expense. And snow tires are not the end-all/be-all; R3 driving conditions still require chains regardless of snow tires.

2. the manual says you can use chains on front tires if you have to.

3. i'm curious to what others are using as well. i feel lame having to buy chains for an AWD car but don't wanna get turned back after driving all the way to the damn mountain.

1. the guy already said he only wanted chains/cables. doesn't want snow tires. i feel the same way, for routine CA driving, snow tires are gonna be an uncomfortable expense. And snow tires are not the end-all/be-all; R3 driving conditions still require chains regardless of snow tires.

I agree with the R3 comment and in regards to saying he wants chains/cables I posted my pre and post snow tire experiences for that exact reason.

If he is going to areas with snow for a total of 10 days, chains are fine.

If he is going every weekend as I do, then that's a different story.

Besides, a lot of people hate their RE-92's anyway, and if he can find a set of snows that work better than stock in almost all conditions (nokians, etc), why not buy some and sell his 92's on fleabay? It's worth it not to be sliding around on ice skates when you're in tahoe.

Yeah, exactly. As much as I dislike the RE92s, I cannot afford to just blow them away right now. Its just not financially feasible to buy new tires for a couple of snow runs (at most for me) in a year.

R3 conditions? That must be what I heard. I knew there were some conditions where chains were required regardless of tires and AWD.

That tire chains online source is the first one on the Google search. They must be getting a bunch of hits right about now. Cables it is then.

R3 conditions? That must be what I heard. I knew there were some conditions where chains were required regardless of tires and AWD.

The roads are usually closed before it becomes an R3. However, I will be keeping a set of snow cables in my Forester (even with the Nokian WRs)... Just in case. ;)

-Mike-

Archived