LegacyGT.com

Not a legacy but……

Subarus are really rare here, in fact I have yet to see a single legacy gt on the road since I moved here back in 2019 so I have the pleasure of having the reputation as “the guy with the Subaru station wagon”. One of my employees text me a picture of something I haven’t seen in a long time, a 1988 Subaru Justy 4wd followed by “$300 and it’s yours”. Of course I just replied “I’ll take it”, and 30min later he hits me with a picture of the 1988 Sprint and says both cars for $500. So now I own two ridiculous 3cyl cars and I couldn’t be any happier. Justy has 42,000 miles and the Sprint has 60,000 miles and the ac blows cold.

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah the sprint isn’t in as good of shape, I was hoping it was a turbo since it had all the cladding and the turbo seats but someone just swapped it all over to a non turbo. The Justy supposedly lived most its life in an airplane hanger and was used to drive up to flagstaff. I’ve got to get this thing to some snow.

The turbo Sprint was far from cool.  A friend in high school had one.  The car was more "funny" than fun.  The Justy is like a Subie time machine.  Not a cool as a Brat, but cool for the quirkiness and awd.  Even the seats scream Subaru. 

Edited by m sprank

If only I could find a brat that wasn’t rotted to the ground. There was a girl in my auto tech class in high school that had one that was minty fresh all while I was in my Volkswagen fox another not cool car that my dad was kind enough to wreck for me lol.

Aerodynamics (and safety belts) be dammed.  Rear passengers can enjoy cold adult beverages at speed as long as they do not pass them forward. 

Man the 70's and 80's were GREAT!  Born in 1978 and no longer imported in NA after 1987, but available edm until 1994.  Did you know that Fuji developed the Brat in 1977 at the request of the President of SOA?  He wanted something to compete against the small pickups Toyota, Datsun and Mazda were importing.  With the rear jump seats the Brat was classified as a passenger car, not a pick up by DOT so Subaru could avoid the 25% import tariff.  They used a loophole, LOL.  Oh, and Ronald Reagan owned a 1978 Brat until 1998.  He drove it around his ranch.  The car was later restored and returned to the ranch.   Yeah, Ronnie drove a Subie!!!

Duct tape holding the gas door shut?  Thats a dealership added option. 

Edited by m sprank
  • Haha 1

Now that Justy.  87-94 in the US.  All had a 1.2l engine.  They were available with either a MT or  CVT.  No one bought the CVT in Japan or the US.  They were front wheel drive or "on demand" 4 wheel drive.  4WD became an option in 88 and the facelift was mid-89.  In 91 all engines got a multi-port fuel injection upgrade.  The 5 door model was 90-94. 

The car has been re-badged a bunch and this speaks to its popularity.  Suzuki Cultus, Suzuki Ignis, Toyota Passo, Diahatsu Boon, Subaru Trezia, Toyota Tank, Toyota Roomy, Diahatsu Thor.