LegacyGT.com

Cigar lighter fuse issues

This is on Scooby Too's 2012 Legacy 2.5 Ltd. We have had this problem before and I am stumped now.

The cigar lighter in the center dash (In front of the gear shift) is  dead......the Armrest power port is all good. I know that the cigar lighter is fuse #20 (10 amps) and when I checked it was blown....so I popped in a fresh one and poof! It blew immediately ,,,,, Hmmmm so I did it again with a 20 amp fuse....poof. Same result so there must be another issue affecting that circuit.

Any ideas on where to  start looking?? HELP!!

BTW............ I found a YouTube video on this very issue....The guy shows how to locate the fuse box and the #20 fuse and how to change it......when he starts the car (2011 Legacy) poof it also blows the new fuse. He finishes by saying "Now you know where that fuse is" 🤪

Edited by Scooby Fan

Diagram shows the outlet as the only thing on the circuit, so if the fuse is blowing immediately, you probably have a short to ground (either something jammed in the socket, the socket itself could have failed internally, or the wire has worn through to ground somewhere.

• Like 1

Thanks DR123.....that was what I figured too ☹️ I can say that the socket is clear and appears undamaged but no way to know what may be in the wiring harnesses somewhere.

I may get an accessory after market socket and try re-wiring it to a new location that is "Hot" when ever the car is running.

The only real reason it seems important at this time is that she runs a dash cam off the power port in the armrest and has to unplug it use her Garmin GPS occasionally. The OEM GPS in the 2012 is beyond useless.

Just found this solution to my problem........Made by a company called "Beehive"...costs $14.95 in Canada from Canadian Tire stores..... must be available at loads of auto parts stores.

This whole thing was sparked by the fact that with only one working power outlet she could not run the dash cam and the Garmin GPS.

👍

1.jpg

Edited by Scooby Fan
  • Haha 1