LegacyGT.com

Clicking noise from the dashboard

jonnyt88

I have a clicking noise coming from inside my dashboard.  Its not a consistent pattern.   When I owned the cars years ago,  I used to hear a click for each rear wiper swipe if I had it on "intermittent".   This is the same clicking noise but more frequent.   I've adjusted the headlights, turn signals, rear wiper was off (I guess I should switch it on to see if it changes) and the clicking kept happening.  

Is it likely a relay?

The other day I started the car and the stereo was black/dead (HVAC worked), but I also had a Cyl #3 misfire so I was more worried about getting her home from up the road. 

2008 Outback XT 5eat, paddle shifters, diode dynamics led turn signal relay

Clicking from behind the center console could be one of four HVAC actuators that control different functions like mode, temp, etc.  A wiper arm and finger-like contacts lose theor trace after so many years and the sound you hear is the armature hunting for a position.  Ours made noise for a while after engine shut-off, too. 

I removed the glove box and observed the passenger side actuators working as they should.  That narrowed it down to the driver's side Air Mix temp control actuator. It's not easy to reach so my wiring-frame mechanic handled the repair.

Part numbers could vary depending on whether you have Dual climate controls or not.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

17 hours ago, jmcgliss said:

Clicking from behind the center console could be one of four HVAC actuators that control different functions like mode, temp, etc.  A wiper arm and finger-like contacts lose theor trace after so many years and the sound you hear is the armature hunting for a position.  Ours made noise for a while after engine shut-off, too. 

I removed the glove box and observed the passenger side actuators working as they should.  That narrowed it down to the driver's side Air Mix temp control actuator. It's not easy to reach so my wiring-frame mechanic handled the repair.

Part numbers could vary depending on whether you have Dual climate controls or not.

Thanks.. Its definitely coming from the driver's side.  Can I remove the actuators while the car is running or should I turn the car off each time.   I'm not sure how to visually observe them working. 

10 minutes ago, jonnyt88 said:

Thanks.. Its definitely coming from the driver's side.  Can I remove the actuators while the car is running or should I turn the car off each time.   I'm not sure how to visually observe them working. 

Removing the actuators is a real bear - it's very cramped under the dash. My comment was to observe them as you operate the HVAC controls to determine which one is acting up. Subaru online parts diagrams can help you find the part number.  The car should be off if you are removing them, and possibly with the battery disconnected for safety.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan