LegacyGT.com

Sudden problem with power from lighter socket

mtnwest

We have a 2002 Legacy Outback and I have a problem with power from the cigarette lighter. We were having no problems powering our XM and a cell phone until it just quit a couple days ago while on a road trip. I heard a little pop when it happened. I have checked the fuse and it is still OK and there are no other electrical problems as far as I can tell. The light around the socket still works, but the socket itself does not.

Is there an "internal" fuse in behind the lighter? I've removed the ash tray to look in there, but can not see or feel much of anything that would work like that? Is it possible that a wire blew out and I need to replace the lighter? I have been trying to remove the lighter without much luck so far.

I did a search for similar topics in the forum, but didn't see anything similar. Thanks to anyone who may be able to point me in the right direction.

Merry Christmas.

~ Paul

This could be several things. First replace the fuse, it can look good but have a hairline crack. Second check the fuse inline of the thing you are powering up. they usually unscrew at the socket, I know my XM does. third try the lighter is it working, are you a smoker? try a good air cleaner, ashes can build up. as far as removing the lighter socket, remove the whole panel and buy a lighter socket removal tool at autozone, or very carefully remove by twisting. even still, sometimes the lighter wears from use and you have to expand the contacts on the device you are using.

best of luck

David

David,

Thank you for your response.

>> First replace the fuse, it can look good but have a hairline crack.

I will try that. According to the manual, the same fuse controls the remote review mirrors and those work just fine. I removed the fuse and tried them and they didn't operate so I know the book is correct in that part.

>> Second check the fuse inline of the thing you are powering up. they usually unscrew at the socket, I know my XM does.

I have tried this too and the fuse is fine. I also tried a couple other items such as a phone power cord and a scanner power cord with no luck.

>> third try the lighter is it working, are you a smoker? try a good air cleaner, ashes can build up.

Not a smoker, but I did try the lighter to see if it would work and it didn't.

>> as far as removing the lighter socket, remove the whole panel and buy a lighter socket removal tool at autozone, or very carefully remove by twisting. even still, sometimes the lighter wears from use and you have to expand the contacts on the device you are using.

The lighter removal tool may be the key. The lighter socket should come out the front of the panel correct? I think I can see where the tool would attach and help twist it out.

Thanks again for the ideas, David. At least I am heading in the right direction.

~ Paul

Yes it will come out thru the front. I prefer to remove it cause the are light metal and the tool is flimsy too. You can get it at autozone or walmart (wallyworld) to the WV peeps here J/K. It should be an easy fix and if they run other things that work on the same fuse, it is definitley the socket. PS you dont have to buy a lighter set from SOA, they sell those there too.

Archived