LegacyGT.com

Motor Magazine - BFYB

Latest motor magazine Feature Band for your Bucks (BFYB). The liberty GT gets a 4th place in its category $50K to $80K. 3rd was commodore SS, 2nd WRX STI and 1st Lancer EVO VIII. Pretty good result for an auto version. Would has been good to compare the manual version. The liberty Gt's 0-100km/h time was 6.9 sec. They must of left it in full auto as I can get better times than this when in sports mode auto or full manual. The overall winner wa the Lancer EVO VIII. Regards John

Hi John, Yes I can get better than 6.9 as well. Anyway, good to see the Lib up there with the best of them :D From the perspective of 0-100km/h the manual might do better in the BFYB contest. But there is no way I'm letting go of my auto :) Cheers, Matt

Agree with you regarding the auto. Wouldn't change it for a manual. I'v got my WRX to drive when I want to drive a manual and these days I'm finding that the Liberty manual mode is as much fun as the WRX but a lot better and more comfortable to drive. In fact in terms of 0-100 times the WRX may be quicker but it is harder to get consistantly quick 0-100 times. Most of the time the auto Liberty will match the WRX's 0-100 times. Regards John

[quote name='john.di.martino'] {snip} In fact in terms of 0-100 times the WRX may be quicker but it is harder to get consistantly quick 0-100 times. Most of the time the auto Liberty will match the WRX's 0-100 times. {snip} [/quote] Thats very interesting, I considered buying a WRX before I got the Liberty, and never considered that it is hard to get consistent 0-100 times. I love the comfort and power of the Liberty. In fact, I'm gonna go for a drive right now. See ya folks! :D

That's some pretty nice company to be compared with there, at least if performance is concerned. Lest we say it, there is some good value in cars like the STi, parts value alone in powertrain and brakes by themselves. The EVO has a few good things, but as one of the guys I race with says, the car feels really great, unfortunately, underneath it's just plain crap. This is a real car guy who turns a lot of wrenches on a lot of different makes, mostly imports ranging from europeans to japanese and owns about a dozen vehicles. He is also the local SCC president.

Yeah good Pick up John, Matt and I were chatting about the BYFB a few days ago and we mentioned the 5EAT v the 5MT, Im sure there would be a few differences I have to say especially as you would be able to hold each gear for longer. I think overall we did OK, not the best but not the worst. I belive that the GT will really give them all a run for their money next year especially if (wait for it) the GT STi shows up.

[quote name='agctr']{snip} especially if (wait for it) the GT STi shows up.[/quote] I really hope that the rumours are true. The STi should have enough grunt to blow away alot of the competition in this years BFYB. :D The question is, "Adam, how long will it take for you to race to the Docklands order an STi once its been released by SoAU?" :mrgreen:

John, Adam, and fellow AUS Lib GT'ers, I too have the 5eat GT, and feel that having done around 13000 km on it that it certainly pushes harder - even in normal auto mode - esp from 2000 to around 5000 and all the way up the red line. 8) Haven't been able to time any 0-100 kmph launches however. I'm wondering what sort of times you guys are getting if they are indeed better than 6.9 sec? Also, I'm wondering whether they needed to brake torque those 0-100 times achieved in the auto cars in the BFYB competiton. The times achieved in the mag were identical to the PCOTY times. This begs the question, did they even re-test the car in the same conditions as the others?!? Also, it was interesting to note that the Wakefield lap times were only around 0.25 sec or so off the Audi S4. Cheers, Mike.

I timed a 6.6sec in sports mode after I had the car for a week. Didn't brake torque. Probably do better than this once the car loosens up and possibly in manual mode where you can select the optimal shift point. One thing I find is that takeoff is slow for the first 1.5secs. Take off would possibly improve by allowing boost to build against the brakes. Once the car is rolling pick up is very quick. By the way, I timed myself in my manual MY00 WRX the same day and achieved 6.7sec and 6.9sec. I'm seriouly think of getting the ECUTEK upgrade. Would be interesting to see what 0-100 times would be. From my calculations a ECUTEK upgrade should achieve about 5.5sec John

Yeah that would be great. I love the 5EAT however, I don't like the fact the it has 10kw less than the MT version and officially slower 0-100 times. I know in the real wold these number may not mean much but it gives you something to brag about at the pub. The only thing I am worried about with the ECUTEK is the long term reliability and whether Subaru will notice that the ECU has been modified when servicing the car. John

I have had a few discussion regarding this and the answer is: A cluey Subaru mechanic could find out if the car has been ECUtek'd but the reality is that they wont even look at the ECU. If it looks like its faulty they will just replace it, not reprogram it. Also, the ECUtek simply advances the timing and makes some other small changes to the standard program ot maximise power. Apparently, it is very safe. I will get it done, but probably not for another year or so. Cheers, Matt

[quote name='SC GT']Wow, either your WRXs are fast, or your STis are slow.[/quote] Their WRX's are fast, variable valve timing, comes with 17's and no doubt the suspension set-up is superior to USDM. I believe their STi's are also JDM, 2.0 etc.

Well to answer you first Matt, I am saving like a desperate man to get the financials I will need to have the STi sleeping beside me. So hopefully by launch date I can take in my 1 & 2 cents coins and cash them in LOL.... Im sure that by the time a few more test mules are up and running with the new ECUTek system, there should be more avail and the price should be a lot better to. It would be interesting to find out what system they are using in the GT for the GT race category as I know yr allowed to play around with ECU. Im sure that MOTec is the sponsor for that formula. See what I can dig up. Adam.

Archived