LegacyGT.com

03 legacy 2.5 gt rattle near engine

hi,

car is a 2003 legacy 2.5gt 5 speed manual. bought the car for 1500 drove it for half a year and one day went to shift heard a sound and it shut off. I coasted to the side of the road and restarted it made it about a mile and same thing happened except this time when I turn the key there is rattling in or around the engine bay and car does not start. 

this was the first subaru I've owned but have had manual cars before. I have a few questions about said problem. first is, what could it be? my mind says clutch plate but once again first time subaru owner it could be something else. second if it is clutch plate how is the best way to go about replacing. I'm a big diy guy not due to expense just due to I like learning and using my hands to get that satisfaction of fixing things haha. third if it isn't clutch plate what could it be? 

thanks for any insight and helpful comments in advanced. 

cam

• 5 months later...

It's been awhile I know. Slowly when I've had time, I've disabled the engine and currently have it out. Engine oil is clean, crank moves freely, clutch was completly shot and the pilot bearing was in pieces. Could that have been the issue with it not starting or could it be the transmission is just shot?

20231104_191925.jpg