LegacyGT.com

WORST buying experience

[quote name='BBrown']One last thing - for all of you wondering about my dermis hue, I am as white as they come :D[/quote] I could care less - what color is your Subaru? :P I thought I wanted Silver (funny - one dealer told me the 2005 did not come in silver), like my old one, but now I want the Atlantic Blue.

[quote name='Mindflayer'] I could care less - what color is your Subaru? :P I thought I wanted Silver (funny - one dealer told me the 2005 did not come in silver), like my old one, but now I want the Atlantic Blue.[/quote] Hey, I couldn't care less either! Answering your question, my Subaru is Platinum Silver Metallic. :) It's a Forester XT. I'm interested in the LGT and also in the WRX STi; in fact, I'm very much divided at this point :wink:

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='Mindflayer'] In this day and age, I can not understand how anyone can think they can call a minority a "boy" and get away with it.[/quote] Why do you have to bring race into it? How would he know you are a minority unless you told him? And then you'd just be playing the race card. This is becoming all too typical. Did you really expect the sales manager to "hold" a car for until Friday, when you just agree to it on the phone on Tuesday? The fact you weren't willing to give a $1000 hold told him you weren't serious, and that is the reason he called you a boy. You were jerking him around. If I was in his shoes I would of done the same. Please....yeah I'll hold a car for you for 3 days just on your word? Yeah sure buddy!! Grow up and lose the "woe is me I'm a minority" attitude. Too many carry this attitude around in "this day and age." And the fact you even listed the sales manager's name as Mario Alvarez, tells you most likely he's a "minority" too. Here in LA, that would make him a "majority" by the way, should tell you also it's yourself bringing race into the equation.[/quote] Okay, I feel compelled to jump into this one, just to add my experience. I've had the pleasure of buying a few new cars in my life (and so have my parents). Except for the one Subaru I bought years ago, and the current 05 LGT, both of which were special order, I have NEVER been required to put a security deposit on a new car purchase. Once the car is picked out, the price is negotiated, and I go obtain the proper funds from my bank. It takes a day to complete, but the dealerships didn't raise any fits (if they did, I'd probably just walk away). Heck, when I purchased my first Subaru, I wrote them a check for down payment since it was a special order, BUT they never cashed the check. In fact, at the closing, they returned the check to me and I simply paid them the full amount. On the current car purchase, they did take my $1000 down payment, but they allowed me to use a credit card (which has a reward program tied to it), so I'm not complaining :).

Driver72 - Dude, get some 'nads. Regardless of whether that manager was tossing racial epithets with his use of "boy" or was just using it in a condescending manner, he had no business calling Mindflayer "boy", particularly in the context of telling him to piss off. At best, he was being an ass, at worst, a racist. It's not something that he should just ignore or not take personally. And the way I read Mindflayer's post, the dealer agreed to sell him the car without mentioning a deposit on one day, then the next day tells him the deal is off the table, and that if he wants the car he'll have to put down a $1000 deposit. To me, that sounds like the dealer screwing him, not the other way around. How you can go out of your way to take the dealer's side in this post is beyond me.

The other dealers told me it's called "being taken on a price rocket". That is, someone tells you that they will buy a car in the very near future. The dealer ensures that they have the car the buyer wants - even transferring it from another dealer to lock that buyer down. Then when the buyer comes back, the dealer tells the buyer it was "a one day special". At that point, the buyer has told the other dealers that he's already made a choice, and they see the buyer as not worth their time. The dealer then demands a deposit and a closed deal, since they have that "one car" that the buyer wanted. That forces the buyer to pay the new, not-so-special price. It is odd that after they told me that it was a one day special, and I told them fine, I will shop that price back around, the folks at Dulles got belligerent. Every other dealer I talked to tonight said the same thing - that price was too good to be true in this market. I realize that there is some competitive slamming going on, but they all conveyed the same message. GOOD thing out of this - a lot of you fellow Subaru fans have pointed me to other dealerships! Thanks a lot - it is much appreciated.

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='Mindflayer'] In this day and age, I can not understand how anyone can think they can call a minority a "boy" and get away with it.[/quote] Why do you have to bring race into it? How would he know you are a minority unless you told him? And then you'd just be playing the race card. This is becoming all too typical. Did you really expect the sales manager to "hold" a car for until Friday, when you just agree to it on the phone on Tuesday? The fact you weren't willing to give a $1000 hold told him you weren't serious, and that is the reason he called you a boy. You were jerking him around. If I was in his shoes I would of done the same. Please....yeah I'll hold a car for you for 3 days just on your word? Yeah sure buddy!! Grow up and lose the "woe is me I'm a minority" attitude. Too many carry this attitude around in "this day and age." And the fact you even listed the sales manager's name as Mario Alvarez, tells you most likely he's a "minority" too. Here in LA, that would make him a "majority" by the way, should tell you also it's yourself bringing race into the equation.[/quote] Ok, I can't not respond to this. 1. You come off as a complete arrogant douche. You may not in fact be a douche in real life, but given the skill with which you play one on the internet, I bet you are. 2. This forum does not like people who act like arrogant douches. Please go find another forum to extol your douchiness. 3. As for the original poster, the dealership agreed to a deal, and then renegged on it. When he questioned this, they were rude to him. Condescending to ANYONE by calling them "boy", no matter what their race, is uncalled for and rude. The dealer should be held accountable for this. 4. Are you still here? I said go away. -Nick

If you're open to buying in the Maryland suburbs, rather than NoVa, Fitzgerald has very good prices and an excellent reputation. You can see their inventory at [url]www.fitzmall.com[/url]. We bought a Toyota there and were very pleased.

Right. Kevin has Moderator powers now, which means that instead of posting a gentle admonition (which this post is) he can also move and/or alter posts. This board is, for the record, about the Legacy GT. The poor purchasing experience comments could be of value to someone who might have been considering that dealership, as a heads-up. The race stuff does not, and should stop, please. Kevin

Archived