LegacyGT.com

Remember to check your PCV valve!

So I don't have many miles on my car (83k) compared to some folks, but decided I really ought to replace my PCV valve (it's sort of buried under the intercooler on the passenger side of the engine for those with a GT) - mine was completely failed (could blow through it in either direction - interestingly, it still rattled when you shook it, it just didn't seal) - used an OEM replacement and also discovered that the weird Y-tube coming off the engine was pretty cracked up (not weeping oil or anything, just pretty cracked at the point the PCV valve goes and where it attaches to a small metal tube.  The base seemed just fine where it connects to the engine itself.  I have replacement tubing on the way, and for now am just using my new valve in that.  (the clamps are easy to remove/reinstall - there's a nice video on youtube that shows how using a pocket screwdriver to disengage and a pair of cutters to snap it back on)

Wasn't really losing oil or anything - was just picking up parts and figured I might as well replace it.

• Thanks 2

Replaced the Y-tube and the pcv line coming off the top of the pcv valve - impressive how hard they get after a decade under the hood!  The cracks in the y-tube were pretty deep, but I couldn't see light through them, so caught it before it became a vacuum leak, I guess...  Couldn't get the large clicker hose clamp to close on the y-tube - just couldn't get enough room with the cutter...  replaced it with a stainless worm drive clamp, so good to go.  Sadly, dropped the nut off the t-bolt clamp for the throttle body hose to the intercooler - heard a clink and then nothing... per normal, it didn't hit the floor - couldn't find it anywhere, so had to replace it (it's 1/4-28 for anyone with the Cobb silicone throttle body hose that runs into the same thing.) - $3 later and I had 3 stainless lock nuts from Lowes.