LegacyGT.com

I like to know the name of the part in circle

4 hours ago, m sprank said:

not a seperate part.  Integrated into the intake duct.

Yep. Technically, it's called a Helmholtz resonator, and there are at least two of them along the Gen 6 Legacy's intake tract, between the air filter and the throttle body.  These have at least two purposes: 1) to dampen (i.e. smooth) intake airflow for better air/fuel mixture control, which may result in better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions, and 2) to reduce engine intake noise.

• Thanks 2

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

6 hours ago, ammcinnis said:

Yep. Technically, it's called a Helmholtz resonator, and there are at least two of them along the Gen 6 Legacy's intake tract, between the air filter and the throttle body.  These have at least two purposes: 1) to dampen (i.e. smooth) intake airflow for better air/fuel mixture control, which may result in better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions, and 2) to reduce engine intake noise.

WOW, Well explained, I appreciate it, thank you. 

10 hours ago, m sprank said:

not a seperate part.  Integrated into the intake duct. 14456AA45A.

Yeah, though it is a part of the intake duct, it is designed in a such a way for some purpose. I was looking for that, i noticed the second one after ammninnis explanation about it.  I appreciate it, thank you

10 hours ago, m sprank said:

Intake Duct - Subaru (14456AA45A)

•  

Was not sure if it was a replacement question.  First one is immediately after the corrugated pipe which is normal as the corrugation causes turbulence.  They became more "in vogue" as fuel efficiency requirements increased and customers complained about hearing engine noises.  They want cabins like coffins and 50mpg.

Will have to attempt to commit Helmholtz to memory. I knew it was a German name, but failed to recall and was replying from my phone.  Part number was much faster to pull up. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:01 PM, m sprank said:

Was not sure if it was a replacement question.  First one is immediately after the corrugated pipe which is normal as the corrugation causes turbulence.  They became more "in vogue" as fuel efficiency requirements increased and customers complained about hearing engine noises.  They want cabins like coffins and 50mpg.

Will have to attempt to commit Helmholtz to memory. I knew it was a German name, but failed to recall and was replying from my phone.  Part number was much faster to pull up. 

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. Have a great week-end.