LegacyGT.com

Can't get door opened from outside or inside

05 LGT wagon, driver side rear door latch not working from inside or out.

I started to feel it going over period of a week, where it required pulling up on the exterior door handle way farther than typical and with less resistance in the door handle. But it was opening.

After this latest cold snap, it won't open. I tried from the inside too and not opening.

Any recommendations?  I haven't tried really pushing hard from the inside yet. Waiting to warm up maybe the weather stripping is still stuck to the door. I hope

It opened a few days ago, so assuming child locks weren't activated. I should have taken the door card off and investigated when I started to feel that this door handle was acting differently than others. 

In normal operation, when you lift the door handle somewhere in the arc you'll feel resistance of it pulling on the cable tension.  With this handle started to have a much longer dead stroke in its arc before feeling the tension on the cable.  The point that it was almost to the last of its movement and just the final few mm seemed to get the door to unlatch and open.  

Actually the exact same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago (outside handle opening the door at the very end of the stroke). But then it came back to normal. So I'm keeping an eye on it and making sure the child safety is off.

Have you tried locking and unlocking several times in a row?

Literally went through this recently and had a post on it. You can roll the window down and get in between the belt Moulding and the door panel where the window would be if it was rolled up and use a long flathead to pop the plastic cover off the door latch mechanism and push the lever on the top down and the door will pop open.

Edited by blackobxt
  • Like 1

Lucky for you but unlucky for me I need to get into my doors tonight so I’ll take some pics of what needs to be done. I have enough door lock actuators sticking that the bcm is detecting a fault and keeps taking the locks offline. Kind of a pain in the ass with two little kids

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, m sprank said:

Trials and tribulations of daily driving a 15+ year old car.  They are not built to last, lol.  Spent 2 years working out the gremlins on my 03 Forester build prior to driving daily.  

Tell me about it, shes definitely starting to show her age. Things did not go as planned last night; I got into the door and not only did the release cable break on the end that clips into the door handle but the exterior door handle broke in the exact same way as the other side did three weeks ago. So now I’m looking for a new latch assembly and some handles. I just need to make a list of interior odds and ends and start sourcing parts. 

OP, these cars are getting to the point where there are going to be a lot of things breaking simply because they are old. If you are feeling abnormal resistance on something, expect to be learning how to fix it lol.