LegacyGT.com

trunk lid strut replacement?

Has anyone replaced these with something other than OEM?  the Subaru ones are $20-ish a piece, but can get aftermarket for under $10 on rockauto (from Strongarm, AMS Automotive, Stabilus, FCS, and Tuff Support) but I don't recognize any of those vendors in terms of if they are good/bad.  Mine are pretty much dead, and I figured why not change them out.  (the hood struts are still a-ok, though)

No prob!  Let us know how it goes!

What are the symptoms by the way?  My trunk has always taken a decent amount of effort to lift.  Not heavy enough that my wife couldnt open it, but not like the hood that opens itself all the way once you get it started.

With the trunk, you need to lift it pretty much all the way up and you feel the weight all the way up.  It falls down hard also from any point less than full open position.

It's been that way since I got it but I wonder sometimes if it should be that way or the damper is dead.  

You are describing more or less what mine does - when you pop the trunk, it just stays closed (doesn't lift up a little) and you are definitely doing all the work to lift it up, and if you let go anywhere except all the way up, it clunks back closed.  When the struts were in good condition, it would pop open a bit, then lifting it up was easier and it would stay open.  Mine have been pretty dead for a while, I just finally got around to doing something about it!  Tracking info shows the package is out for delivery this morning, so either today or tomorrow I'll get them installed and see!

• Thanks 1

Got them in and installed (the Stabilus 5B-882188) - install was a piece of cake, and the trunk is back to working as new - when you pop the lock, it lifts maybe 1cm or so (so you can see it's open) then after you open it a little, it opens the rest of the way on its own.

One note - when you go to take one of the old ones off, make sure you put the hood all the way up, or it falls right down

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just got this done today finally and wow!  Didnt know what I was missing.

Now when the latch releases and I lift the lid to get it started, it pretty much lifts itself. 

I got no-names and they may be a bit too strong as if I let them go they can actually make the lid bounce as they it the end of travel.  Closing needs a bit of effort now too.

OEM is Stabilus by the way.

spacer.png