LegacyGT.com

2005 outback xt sti swap

I was wondering if any of you distinguished people happen to know if an ej257 out of a 2014 sti would be an easy(ish) swap into my 2005 outback xt.  To be clear- will a built long block from a 2014 sti essentially bolt up the same as my current ej257?  What sensors are different and can the parts from my current motor simply be pulled and placed onto the 2014 sti ej257?

No, you would not easily be able to swap a dual AVCS long block into a single-AVCS ECU OBXT.

Shortblock might be a different story. I believe it would run fine but there are different compression ratios.

Edited by Pleides

I installed a new, OEM ej257 short block in my 05 GT wagon using my B25 heads the car came with. Doing that, it is a direct swap. See the "click here" link in my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

@Max Capacity and @Pleides - thank you both!  Yall saved me a bunch of money and headaches.  Sounds like the bottom end can be used without too much trouble.  I'll have to calculate the compression ratio of the bottom end (its a p2p stage 2 closed deck with callie ultra rods, cp pistons, and cleavite bearings.  Any ideas on what signs of wear i should look for when purchasing this motor?  I plan on checking clearances on engine deck and look at crank and cylinder walls.

Here's my old ej257 at 154,000 miles.

That's #2 cylinder. The others looked great. I replaced this block because I planned to keep the car for many years. This engine ran fine, but I know we may have stressed it early on playing with a manual boost controller back in 2005.

DSCN4761.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're looking the engine over then look for piston tops that are substantially cleaner than others (indicates head gasket failure as coolant will clean the surface of the piston). Could mean the engine has also seen higher than safe temperatures if it had head gasket failure.

Other stuff mentioned above is great.

Glad the shortblock will work out for you. Do a compression test if you can before buying.

• Like 1