LegacyGT.com

URL without "forum"

miles

The forums are in a subfolder called 'forums'. Tide would have to move the entire forum to the root directory. I don't know of any VB forums that aren't set up this way. It's just the way it works. That 'forums' folder has to be there.

If your work doesn't want you surfing forums, then my advice would be to not do it. Surfing is fun, but your job feeds the family and puts gas in the car. You don't want to lose the Legacy because you spent too much time reading up on it. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The forums are in a subfolder called 'forums'. Tide would have to move the entire forum to the root directory. I don't know of any VB forums that aren't set up this way. It's just the way it works. That 'forums' folder has to be there.

If your work doesn't want you surfing forums, then my advice would be to not do it. Surfing is fun, but your job feeds the family and puts gas in the car. You don't want to lose the Legacy because you spent too much time reading up on it. :lol:

You are correct.

I was hoping there would be another way to access the forums.

Nope. In fact, if you went to www.legacygt.com/forums then it would go directly to the forum list. You can't browse the forums unless the forum directory is renamed. That would pretty much kill every link that has 'forums' in it as the name of that directory. You kind of have to make the decision when you build the site what to call that directory. forums is the default name by vbulletin.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I didn’t expect the “forum” directory to be renamed.

Example: Could a programming change be done to the Send and Returned URL

So when I send and before entering vbulletin %66orum would be changed to forums then the URL would be passed onto vbulletin.

When the URL is sent back the string forums in the URL would be changed to %66orum.

This would be done with a string search and replace. Plus, your directory structure is not changed.

Sent by member:

http://www.legacygt.com/%66orum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13

Sent to vbulletin:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13

Returned to member:

http://www.legacygt.com/%66orum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13

If a member sends a URL with forums they will receive a URL with %66orum.

As you know, many company’s can print a users internet usage.

They especially hate internet usage on forums.

I think this would be wanted by many legacygt members.

This way members could hide the fact they were on a forum.

I dunno.... If I got caught on a forum when I wasn't supposed to be there then I think it would look especially bad if it was appparant that I knew I wasn't supposed to be there and was trying to hide it. I think you can kiss a second chance good bye at that point. :lol:

I had a job where I couldn't search the web. So what I did was plop the forum in an iframe and emailed it to myself. Then I could surf the web from outlook and not have any open browsers on my task bar. I don't know how that shows up to the IT guys, but nobody ever talked to me about it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I dunno.... If I got caught on a forum when I wasn't supposed to be there then I think it would look especially bad if it was appparant that I knew I wasn't supposed to be there and was trying to hide it. I think you can kiss a second chance good bye at that point. :lol:

I had a job where I couldn't search the web. So what I did was plop the forum in an iframe and emailed it to myself. Then I could surf the web from outlook and not have any open browsers on my task bar. I don't know how that shows up to the IT guys, but nobody ever talked to me about it.

That'll work as far as your desktop looks (heck, you could make a very easy app with IE com components to accomplish the same thing). The problem is that your requests (gets and posts) to the forum still pass through your corporations network and / or proxy and that's generally where the logging takes place. You can hide the fact that you're looking at a web browser, but you can't hide the fact that you're browsing the web (unless you use a web proxy as stated above)

-Scott

Guest *Jedimaster*
Come on Jedimaster, with all your infinite wisdow please enlighten me to the google trick you talk about.:icon_bigg

I know nothing! I simply leech off of others :D

If it's simply a proxy server in your web browser, either turn it off, or if it's locked down to prevent that, download a different web browser (Firefox) and use that.

Unless you're required (by firewall) to use a proxy server to get outside of the lan (which is the case in my company)

Did Firefox work? If not, you can get past even THAT by setting up a proxy server off-site (such as Proxomitron) and configure it to run on a port that gets through (maybe DNS?). Set Firefox to use that port, and all they'll see is a bunch of crap on some well-known port. Unless they inspect packets, you could browse anything you want without their knowledge. Unless you're making DNS requests to their DNS server, of course. :)

Archived