LegacyGT.com

Aussie 3.0R-B Review ...

Fellow GT Forum members, Found another Liberty/Legacy review to share with all of you. Doesn't add a whole lot, but if those Bilstein's aren't 'too harsh' for Australian conditions then why the h*ll didn't we get them over here on our 1st release GT 5EAT'S!!!! Hmmm, wonder how it'd cost to get Docklands to retro-fit these.... Cheers, From a disappointed Mike. [url=http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,10410311%255E27286,00.html]Carsguide.com.au[/url]

Stock suspension: "It is way softer and the body floats around a bit more when stressed but this characteristic is sure to win its share of admirers. " Spec-B: "Around tough off-camber corners, the B-spec turns another trick, offering balance, body control and stability from the stiffer Bilstein suspension. While the ride is flat and firm it remains compliant even over chopped-up bitumen of the kind that springs up on Queensland B-roads after heavy summer rains. " So, does the Spec-B kit fit USDM or not? Those that have the bits in their garage but have not yet installed them are slowly killing the rest of us (well me anyway)...you know who you are :) I am not one of the admirers of the stock setup. Too much float, pitch and roll. And, before someone feels the need to point it out to me, I know it is supposed to be a quick, safe, good handling family car...relax. Tom

Well not quite. I am trying to book an appointment for Tomorrow or Friday to change out the suspension. So we are getting closer. It is good news for the Spec-B info makes me feel better lets see if it fits??

The 3.0R Bilstein tune is miles off the turbo spec cars. Much more compliant, not as good road holding. Frankly, the 3.0 would not see which way a spec B went in the twisties :wink: The gap is that big (tyres playing a large role, but the lack of ROLL too :D ). Even a JDM GT would pull some decent gaps on a 3.0R in heavy cornering (even though they share the same tyres). All Bilstein tuned suspension on the JDMs is not born the same :wink:

My personal review of this car WAS supposed to be completed today but as I have put in other posts, I went to SoAU yesterday to reconfirm my booking and to my surprise they sold it right off the showroom floor. There is a test model but its currently on hold so when it becomes available, I will be in there with bells on. Have to agree with apexjapan2, when you see the car upclose and personal, you will see what we mean, the whole car just looks so much more balanced on certainly creates a lot more road presence.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the 3.0R is a total softy either :wink: But it is significantly softer than the JDM GT and spec B, and will scrub its fronts long before the turbo would. We had the chance to drive a number of Legacys back to back, in fact ALL of the JDM models. The give away was easy to see, a quick look at the fronts on ALL the 3.0Rs were well scrubbed :) Of course, the spec B seemed to load the tyres most evenly, closely followed by the GT. Anyway, a 3.0R with manual would be a decent motor to pedal about in IMHO. But I'd still take a turbo and tweak bits if the prices were close :wink:

Well Tom, I can since I had a decent run in a GT (auto) last time I was home. The handling is fine on the Aussie GT, not as sharp or nimble as the JDM (which is Bilstein equipped), but still good. The ride is quite a deal taughter on the JDM, so there is some extra bump when you hit something of significance. However, once you get hard into some twisties, the differences really become apparent, and the JDM GT feels quite a bit more "planted" IMHO (check the pics on apexjapan - I was going rather quickly in those pics :wink: And no I am not incriminating myself!) This is all nit-pick level stuff though, coz the Oz GT does just fine, and flattens bumps, esp. mid corner ones, better I feel. Note I am comparing it with a JDM GT, not the spec B which would eat the Oz car alive (and leave a JDM GT with some committed driving too). Shorter gearing, big, grippy (and mega buck!) rubber make a big difference along with the stiffer suspenders. The engine tune is a bit different too I felt. Boost coming in much harder, and earlier on the JDM tune, probably due to the better fuel here. All in all it doesn't bear thinking about really, because the Oz version is a fine driving motor that still delivers on all the big points of GT motoring - decent power, solid handling, comfort and first class safety. Enjoy the Oz GT, but I bet the Bilstein equipped 3.0R spec B feels pretty good on the road, adding some "extra" for those looking for more (although I still prefer the turbo motor). HTH Dave, I have not taken my verniers to the ARBs, but the 3.0R (which is Bilstein equipped std here - there is not spec B yet) rolls onto the front outside wheel in cornering much like a std B4 of the BE era would (which in the long term is hard on those poor tyres). It feels familiar to scooby owners, but the GTs are much flatter. I can hear Paul running out to his car right now :wink:

Nice feedback...thanks. It would be interesting to know if the Aussie and USDM GT suspension damper / spring specs are the same. If I remember correctly, Paul posted that the Spec-B spring rates are close to WRX STi rates which might be a bit harsh in a daily driver. The JDM GT sounds like it might strike a fine balance. Tom

Paul is a whimp :wink: But yes, both he and I have said that the spec B was on the extreme side for a catalog spec car. But that was the A, the B rev is now out, and is much more compliant, while keeping most of the fun/flat ride. The balance of the GT's set up is indeed good IMHO, but if you are going for a set up that is going to really turn up the performance, the spec B is the only way to go IMHO. Just don't blink when you see how much they are... :wink:

Sounds like the reviewer car in question has the Rev. B Spec B dampers, perhaps? Or is there a Bilstein setup for the 3.0R, and another for the turbo Spec B? Confusing. Another Australian owner in another thread, with the Spec B suspension setup, said that he wished for some more comfort/compliance from his suspension setup. Kevin

I think the spec B may have its own settings, but they certainly could be similar t the GT or GT spec B's. I just doubt that they'd export the full house spec B set up because it is "so" tight... I guess I'll just have to drive one :D

Archived