LegacyGT.com

Some questions.

Hello all,

My 2009 Legacy 2.5I has leaking externally head gaskets on the used motor I put on, so I decided I might as well refresh the engine that I have pulled out of the vehicle. 

As far as I know the block is good except heads may have some valve damage, engine was pulled and replaced because it was thought that the Tensioner bolted into the block and not a bracket that is the moment I wish I'd done more research more jumping on it.

The head gaskets were already done on this motor, so I'm assuming the heads were already machined and I'm assuming there is a limit to how much they can be machined. I did manage to get a free engine with heads and intake etc off of craigslist off an Impreza as the block had rod knock, The heads are good and valves look fine, the heads on this motor have around 74k miles, the ones I managed to get free have 119k and were never touched so which ones would you use? I am also planning on replacing the head bolts as they as well have been most likely reused and I don't feel comfortable reusing them a third time.

Obviously getting the heads off the Impreza EJ rebuilt would be cheaper at around $300 for valve seals etc while if there is damage on the original heads it would cost me up of 400+ for both heads.

Also back then I did turn the engine backwards as I was stupid and did not know that usually can cause damage to an engine, can any damage occur from spinning these engines by hand backwards?

Finally, I do plan on getting a gasket kit from Subaru to replace all the seals and gaskets. Around my area dealers are wanting up to almost $380 for a gasket kit is there any cheaper place to score these for cheaper? I do want to use the MLS OEM subaru gaskets so is this the correct part number? 11044AA770

I'm also going to use the Aisin kit for the timing belts as I've used it before on my Impreza.

I believe I've covered everything I wanted to in this post, is there any other advice you would suggest? I've already done head gaskets on my 09 Impreza and used felpro but this time I wanted to use oem as this is my daily.