LegacyGT.com

Map light remains on dimly, sometimes flashes on/off when driving. Help

Hi guys, got a new car a few months ago, 2011 legacy. The other day I noticed the map lights don't go off anymore. The most they do is go very dim, but they stay on, whether I'm driving, or the car is locked and I've left. Tonight I noticed for the first time they were flickering, sometimes they would go off for a few seconds, and then flicker back on. Very annoying driving at night with them flickering dimly away above me....

The door/off switch does nothing. Turning the map light on brings them on brightly, but then once switching off they just glow dimly again.

Any ideas?

Ok I'll try some new ones but that still doesn't make sense to me.. why would bulbs nearing the end of their life suddenly start turning on when they're not supposed to.... there shouldn't be any current going through that circuit at all...

Ok I'll try some new ones but that still doesn't make sense to me.. why would bulbs nearing the end of their life suddenly start turning on when they're not supposed to.... there shouldn't be any current going through that circuit at all...

If I remember correctly there is always a very small amount of current in the circuit because they are BIU controlled not switch controlled, normally an incandescent bulb or high quality led wouldn't illuminate under those circumstances but cheap or failing led's need very little current to operate.

If I remember correctly there is always a very small amount of current in the circuit because they are BIU controlled not switch controlled, normally an incandescent bulb or high quality led wouldn't illuminate under those circumstances but cheap or failing led's need very little current to operate.

Ok thanks. Sorry, but what is BIU?

I'll go get some new LED bulbs on my next days off and post here to let ya all know if it solves the problem.

Ok thanks. Sorry, but what is BIU?

I'll go get some new LED bulbs on my next days off and post here to let ya all know if it solves the problem.

BIU is the Body Integrated Unit or the body computer it controls just about everything on the vehicle not controlled by the ecm and tcm.

BIU is the Body Integrated Unit or the body computer it controls just about everything on the vehicle not controlled by the ecm and tcm.

Ah right, that makes a lot more sense then, if the circuit is controlled by a computer then there is likely always some small current running through it.

I can happily report back that I bought 2 new LED bulbs and the problem is fixed. You guys nailed it. Cheers!

Ah right, that makes a lot more sense then, if the circuit is controlled by a computer then there is likely always some small current running through it.

I can happily report back that I bought 2 new LED bulbs and the problem is fixed. You guys nailed it. Cheers!

I had the same problem, so I went back to incandescent bulbs, for what little my car is used I didn't see the point in having expensive LEDs in there.

So the BIU only provides power to the dome light and the map lights if you are using them as the interior lights when you open a door. If you have that switched off (for the map lights, the switch just in front of them - it's a slider switch - not the pushbuttons for each light) then the BIU can not provide any current at all to them - same deal for the dome light - it only powers them if it's set in the door position - set it to off, and the BIU can't provide any power to them (but if something else that's powered has a poor ground in the neighborhood, it could possibly send power through the light if that's best ground. (you do mention turning the switch to off and the lights staying on, which suggests a problem - perhaps the new lights have a better driver that doesn't go on at low power, but the underlying issue is likely still there)

If you have the switches both set to door, and you are getting the dim lighting all the time, but it goes out when you switch the slider switch off of door, then it's the BIU - if not, then my thought would be to check your grounds - something is dumping power through the light that shouldn't be.