LegacyGT.com

Breaching the firewall

Hey folks!

So I do a lot of long-distance driving, including a 700-mile road trip in a couple weeks. My 12v power plug works great, when it isn't coming loose, which is usually. I just upgraded my AA to wireless so I don't have that USB plug for keeping my phone charged. I got it in my head to install a permanent inverter, which is something I always wanted to do on my minivan when I was living on the road.

My main issue is, I cannot figure out where to run the line from the battery into the cabin. I see the rubber grommets from the engine compartment, but I have not been able to find access to them short of apparently taking the whole dash apart, which is not my favorite option.

I'm sure there are folks here that have done this or similar, so I'm curious what your attack method was.

Thanks!

I find a good place on the firewall to drill a hole and use these...

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Plastic-Waterproof-Adjustable-3-5-13mm/dp/B01MDTUIIA/

Thank you for replying! That may likely be the easiest thing to do, a buddy linked me a drill suited for such tasks. The big question being, where is a suitable place on the Legacy that is both easily accessible to drill and run cables?

If I wasn't so lazy I would be able to tell you. I've been meaning to run a power wire to install a pair of audio amplifiers, but I still haven't gotten around to it after 2 years of owning the car.

You don't need to take any of the dash apart aside from the little kick panel by the driver's pedals. A couple screws and clips. I've run gauges and installed amps.

I don't remember which exact grommets I used, but there are a few that have plenty of space to fit things through. Poke a hole with a coat hangar or use a long pick(it's important to keep the hole as small as possible) and shine a flashlight from the engine bay and stick your head in your footwell and look up to figure out which grommet it is.

This hasn't taken me more than 15 minutes to run a wire, it's just a matter of effort really.

Although those cable glands are good, they're overkill and drilling the hole is more effort than needed. (I actually used those in some of my Industrial Automation projects, test beds and demos in MCCs (Motor control centers) panels and the like.

Edited by Aphex28

As mentioned, no need to take the dash apart. I've installed a multigauge with boost, oil temp, oil pressure, outside temp and coolant temp sensors and the wiring goes into the car via existing firewall grommets.

From there removing the underdash panels and the center AC vent bezel allows you to run wires and mount any sockets/buttons/displays pretty much anywhere in the dash area.

I have just used the rubber grommet around the steering column on this and previous legacys ...no need for drilling that way.....and the wire comes into the cabin just below the dash. No need to take anything apart. Edited by Scooby Fan