LegacyGT.com

Manual mode whoops!

In the right lane heading home after the game. Onramp to southbound lanes is one lane over. Good time to use manual mode... Flick lever over, downshift. 3rd gear. Pull down to downshift again to 2nd, bring revs up... easy now, still less than 400 miles on it... match speed with traffic. Now give it a little gas, accelerate, and slide over into the next lane between a couple of cars... Revs at ~4K... Now push to upshift into third... accelerate on the sweeping onramp... ~4K on the tach again, time to upshift into 4th by... PULLING DOWN ON THE STICK! D'OH! :icon_redf

Going into 2nd, revs hit somewhere about 6K, but I upshifted again almost as soon as I downshifted, so it wasn't there very long. Just so used to 'rowing thru the gears' that after pushing it up into 3rd, I just had to pull down into 4th, right? :icon_eek:

I didn't do any damage by reving a new engine to 6K rpms by downshifting, did I? (hope not, hope not, hope not...)

Guess I need more practice on using manual mode...

Most autostick type transmissions (and I doubt this one is any different) will not allow the car to hit the rev limiter. It will not downshift unless it's safe (though may be high revs ;) and will automatically upshift just before redline. Of course this holds true only if you don't get some various ecu upgrades. Several of those will frequently remove those safeties - on purpose mind you :)

you'll be okay...it wouldnt shift down if it would cause damage
That's a relief! The way it revved, I thought for sure I'd look in the rear-view mirror and see my tranny sitting in the road!:icon_frow

next time use the buttons ;)
Now that's an idea! :icon_bigg

Thanks all,

--Dan

Most autostick type transmissions (and I doubt this one is any different) will not allow the car to hit the rev limiter. It will not downshift unless it's safe (though may be high revs ;) and will automatically upshift just before redline. Of course this holds true only if you don't get some various ecu upgrades. Several of those will frequently remove those safeties - on purpose mind you :)
Okay. I'll practice for a few months to get it right. Hey! What do you know, that'll be right around my birthday! ecu upgrade? Hmmm... :icon_tong

Not true with the Legacy. It will downshift if the revs get too low, but IT WILL NOT UPSHIFT FOR YOU. It will just bounce off the rev limiter. Trust me, I know.

You need to drive more, 5 miles a day is nothing. I had the car broken-in in a week. My commute is 30x longer than yours. I'm already over 16,000 miles and I only got the car at the end of July 2005.

Actually no it's not terrible. It makes it closer to a manual transmission. If you want it to shift on its own, just leave it in sport mode.

Also rev limiters are intentionally set low. You can go much higher rpms before some thing bad happens.

Not true with the Legacy. It will downshift if the revs get too low, but IT WILL NOT UPSHIFT FOR YOU. It will just bounce off the rev limiter.

very true. ive hit the rev limiter and its quite a jolt.lol ive actually managed to hit the rev limiter while in normal auto mode, and manual mode..lol

whats the point of having manual mode if it will shift for you, for that you might as well leave it in auto. the legacy does a least have the safety feature of a downshift lock out once you pass the speed/rpm range of the gear below.

try not to bounce off the rev limiter to much i cant imagine that its actually "good" for the tranny.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

yep, I went to buschers so did TSI but he is MT. great experience!! only thing is at the end i felt Dave was rushing Al. Al wanted to do somemore things I believe, but what are u going to do.

1 thing bring or fab( im working on before i go again) a fan for the tmic!!! they didnt have one & mine was real hot!! Also let me know when u go, could meet up.

the dates still up in the air..and i have a Blizzard fan that ill bring for the tmic, it puts out a huge amount of air.

been thinking of makeing 2 AP maps during the tune time.. one for 93 oct and one for 100 (or c16) for when i go to the track.

how did they do the dyno with it being a at...did they run through all the gears or just get the car going enough to get into third and then make the pull then?

the guys at slowmotion couldnt get my torque converter to lock when i went..since they have dynopaks. but they said that a roller dyno would work, was skeptical but it worked for you.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Blizzard fan-- u suck!!!

I told him manually roll though the gears till 3rd could be used then..... nothing but boost! hahahaha. they had no problem once they saw it didnt down shift, when put to the floor.

one for 100.... ur going to have to run that(km2?) to get it.?.

Archived