LegacyGT.com

Need advice: roofbox + skis

klaus

Hi,

please don't flame me -- I looked but couldn't find the answer :icon_frow

I have a 2006 OB with flat crossbars. I'm looking for a long roof box (coffin or whatever you want to call it) plus something to hold a couple of skis. I'm not keen on putting the skis inside the car or into the box because they are usually wet / dirty. I'd prefer to mount everything on the flat crossbars rather than get the heavy duty round crossbars.

Any suggestions which brand/models should I look at so that everything fits on?

Thanks,

klaus.

Thanks. Would both, the cargo box and the ski brackets fit on at the same time? I'm concerned because those boxes seem wide and I'm not sure there's enough space left on a side for a ski holder...

klaus.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/box_comparison.asp

Yakima is a pita of a site to get around, so no direct link ;) Basically, the small Yakima is 22" wide, the Thule 21". If you can find a ski holder that will fit in the remaining room, then you are good to go. However, the cargo holds that are narrow are generally for skis, so long as well. Not great for luggage. Makes more sense to just get a cargo box and a ski rack, but use separately. If you need both, you can always get Thule's http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=9&sku=562 as they are pretty narrow. Not locking, but good in a pinch.

The Subaru roof racks are pretty narrow. When I took my Yakima rack from my Camry and changed the towers to use on the LGT, I had to push the towers in about 4" on each side. I think you might be pressed for space on the factory rack with even a small cargo box. I can at least put stuff outboard of the towers.

Best bet is to find a roof rack shop or a bike shop and see what you can squeeze in.

Archived