LegacyGT.com

550 then 750 and now......

Yes the almighty Saleen S7 has received yet another power increase. The little 7 liter V8 may have started with only 550 horsepower, but this was not enough for Steve Saleen. Finally Steve grew some balls and decided, what the heck, let's turbocharge the thing. After making 750hp with the same 7 liter V8 from the original S7 the car was now capable of sub 3 second 0-60 times and claimed 0-100 is 6 seconds flat ( for comparison the Enzo has been clocked at 6.6 ). Feeling the car still couldn't get Mr.Saleen to work on time he decided once again a power increase was needed. With all the press that those fancy Bugattis were getting Saleen decided to show those folks he too could provide 1000hp to his customers. So yes now the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo with the additional 60 grrand package is capable of producing 1000hp and said to have been moving at 260mph during testing. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/62432/saleen_s7_takes_on_veyron.html

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

yea, but I bet the Veyron doesnt have a problem in the snow with snow tires :lol:

1000 hp.. has anyone even remotely close to driving a car on the street with that kind of power? You can probably just stay in 2nd gear to "catch up" to highway traffic flow. I bet you 2nd gear on that car can probably go to 85 mph...

Keefe

yea, but I bet the Veyron doesnt have a problem in the snow with snow tires :lol:

1000 hp.. has anyone even remotely close to driving a car on the street with that kind of power? You can probably just stay in 2nd gear to "catch up" to highway traffic flow. I bet you 2nd gear on that car can probably go to 85 mph...

The S7 will eventually beat it... The Volkswagon .... oops I mean bugatti will fall apart before it hits 230mph.

The S7 will eventually beat it... The Volkswagon .... oops I mean bugatti will fall apart before it hits 230mph.

I have to throw the BS flag on this one. I think the Bugatti is much better built car from all view point. Engineering, quality, style, everything... If i had a choice between the 2 i would get the Bugatti in a heartbeat. I wouldnt even have to think. It would be a reflex action.

I have to throw the BS flag on this one. I think the Bugatti is much better built car from all view point. Engineering, quality, style, everything... If i had a choice between the 2 i would get the Bugatti in a heartbeat. I wouldnt even have to think. It would be a reflex action.

I've already heard that the Saleen has had a fair bit of reliability problems, I doubt an additional 250hp did that stat any good. Either way though the Bugatti has never been known as the most reliable of the exotics (as if any are). Either way way no one with the money for an exotic vehicle is buying them for their reliability, its all about getting something totally insane that captures your attention. Both the Bugatti and the Saleen attract attention and will appeal to some crazy people, its just another choice in the 1000hp market (Henessey 1000, Veyron, and now S7 TT+)

Im a purist. You dont need a car to weigh over 2 tons and have little fiddly doodads. 16 cylnder W16 is excessive and way too complex. They could have done the same with a V12. SAE corrected the Veryon makes 987hp Hell Saleen did 1000 SAE horsepower with a ford V8.

I hate how VAG tags 10 blocks of lead into every car they build. The saleen from the engineering standpoint is very raw and follows the KISS philosophy. Good aerodynamics, good downforce, light weight, keeping 1000 horsepower as simple as possible. The saleen at 160 mph produces its own weight in downforce. The veryon has to adjust its computer and the drag of the car changes to an abysmal 0.41 CD.

The redesigned aero on the S7TT not only reduced drag by 40 percent, but increased downforce by 60 percent. Very impressive on a car that could already equal its weight in downforce.

Heres a little performance sheet for the standard S7 with the original 550hp engine. http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/652003134129.pdf . I really look forward to a possible road test by one of the major magazines with a full performance write up to see what the car is really capable of. I wonder if perhaps Saleen also slightly tweaked the gear ratios so that the 2-3 shift wasn't made at 100mph cutting that time down a bit.

Archived