LegacyGT.com

Front suspension(ish) rebuild

Copied over from the suspension section.

Hey all, been quiet on here for a bit. I haven't been driving the car. Had some type of incident with the LH rear tire (worn already), and it went flat with a hole (kinda large) on the inside sidewall.

Anyway, I have been having some clunks in the front end and all my bushings are quite worn. I am replacing the control arms with Mevotech aluminum bits, and I am dabbling with replacing most of the front parts. Wanted to hear other opinions about it.

My idea is replacing both control arms (includes the ball joints), both bearings/hubs, and rebuilding the CV boots and grease while everything is apart. Also replacing the inner and outer tie rods. Wanted to get the front knocked out before replacing the tires (needed, and think I have it narrowed down) with Continental Extremecontact DWS 06+ (open to other suggestions however).

I'm honestly not sure if there are any issues with my CV axles (no popping or clicking really that I have noticed), but I may have the RH front leaking / torn (I know this is pretty common on them).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

What are your goals for the car? Can really only give you general direction if you have an end destination in mind.

If you're just looking for a well running stockish car, I'd just replace what's worn with oem or something generic rubber comparable quality. Moog or something similar.

I'd only worry about the hubs and axles if they're noticably in need of repair.

I'm generally partial to Michelin despite the price. My car had those Continentals on it when I bought the car 9 years ago. After running pilot super sports, I backed down the the pilot all season 4s. It's no full blown summer uhp, but it's reasonably competent for sensible spirited street driving. They also did well during the 10-year snow I had in upstate South Carolina last year. 3-5 inches of mostly slushy snow.

I would like to get into AutoX, but the wife is not happy about that idea right now. Long story short, I want better than stock. I already bought the hubs, so I am just going to do them, but I think I am going to order the CV boot rebuild kits as well (just to knock it out and not worry about them too much).

My end goal is 350+ WHP, and semi daily for it (I only live about 10 minutes from my workplace). Hoping to upgrade the turbo, TMIC, and injectors soon as well.

I had enough severely worn parts that I replaced everything. I went whiteline for nearly everything as it required the least amount of searching and most parts are widely used and reviewed on this forum.

I used this thread to make sure if there was a bushing, I had contemplated its replacement:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/complete-bushing-guide-bl-bp-281856.html

I did the exact same thing as you with the mevotech arms. whiteline front, SuperPro tcr3095 for the rear. Because I was also lowering the car at the same time, I used the whiteline roll center kit for ball joints and tie rod ends. Inner tie rods we replaced by default as I installed an STi steering rack (again with whiteline).

I think I probably spent more on bushings by going whiteline almost everywhere, and something like energy suspension would have been a ton cheaper. But I know I would have always wondered if I left anything on the table performance or functionality wise so I kind shopped without having any first hand knowledge rather than honed experience. I don't think I hate any of the parts I went with, which I see as a win. At this point the money is spent and wondering if I could have saved any is moot.

Spend some time in that bushing guide thread, and one can assemble a mostly comprehensive shopping list of all bushings and part to replace.