LegacyGT.com

2015 Touch Screen freezes

I’m having an issue with my 2015 Legacy where the touch screen for the stereo freezes completely. None of the buttons on the steering wheel work and nothing on the touch screen works. I can’t even adjust the volume or turn the radio off. The only thing that works is shutting the ignition off and restarting the car - something I do not want to do at (for example) highway speed.

I found this old thread: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/head-unit-replacement-250350.html?t=250350

That thread mentions Subaru TSB 15-188-15R, which seems only tangentially applicable when I Google it.

I found a video on YouTube showing how to enter the diagnostic mode on the head unit. The diagnostic mode shows NG for both USB ports, even when my phone is plugged into the USB port and playing through that.

The issue seems to have something to do with having my phone plugged into the USB port when I first start the car. If I plug it in afterwards, I don’t seem to have the issue as much, though it DOES sometimes happen if I connect my phone via Bluetooth instead.

I bought the car used in 2019; it’s my third Legacy. This problem started roughly when I had a new roll connector installed by a mechanic because my horn didn't work and I needed the repair to pass Pennsylvania safety inspection when I moved there from another state. I don’t think it’s related, but given that the roll connector has something to do with the stereo controls on the steering wheel as well, it could be related somehow.

Is there a newer TSB on the head unit? Is this something to do with the NG diagnostic on the USB ports? Is it something to do with the new roll connector?

Thanks!

I’m having an issue with my 2015 Legacy where the touch screen for the stereo freezes completely. None of the buttons on the steering wheel work and nothing on the touch screen works. I can’t even adjust the volume or turn the radio off. The only thing that works is shutting the ignition off and restarting the car - something I do not want to do at (for example) highway speed.

I found this old thread: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/head-unit-replacement-250350.html?t=250350

That thread mentions Subaru TSB 15-188-15R, which seems only tangentially applicable when I Google it.

I found a video on YouTube showing how to enter the diagnostic mode on the head unit. The diagnostic mode shows NG for both USB ports, even when my phone is plugged into the USB port and playing through that.

The issue seems to have something to do with having my phone plugged into the USB port when I first start the car. If I plug it in afterwards, I don’t seem to have the issue as much, though it DOES sometimes happen if I connect my phone via Bluetooth instead.

I bought the car used in 2019; it’s my third Legacy. This problem started roughly when I had a new roll connector installed by a mechanic because my horn didn't work and I needed the repair to pass Pennsylvania safety inspection when I moved there from another state. I don’t think it’s related, but given that the roll connector has something to do with the stereo controls on the steering wheel as well, it could be related somehow.

Is there a newer TSB on the head unit? Is this something to do with the NG diagnostic on the USB ports? Is it something to do with the new roll connector?

Thanks!

I have a 15' as well haven't had the freezing issue but never use rhe USB Ports with my phone. Do you have a newer phone? I know the 15' Infotainment system is definitely out dated to keep up with Newer Cell technology it just could be that issue. Only thing I could think about the steering controls is that your mechanic didn't get the plugs secured when he swapped out the roll connector.. Keep us updated..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk