LegacyGT.com

Tire rim bent in Bryn Mar .. reimbursement?

RoundBoy

So.. driving home from lunch, i notice a LARGE pothole right in my lane. I can't stop (snow covered) and I can't swerve left (oncoming car) .. but i did manage to only take the edge of the hole.

but it was deep enough to bend my rim. Does PennDOT reimburse for tire damage? This was unmarked, and it seems unlikely that in the few hours since the snow started the pothole formed...

Try to see if this pothole had been reported by other drivers and if other drivers have damaged their cars as well. If this pothole has been a pothole for months and others have reported it and/or damage has resulted and they have negelected (being the key word) to repair it, that would most likely be a different story. This happened to my dad 20+ years ago. He damaged the right front suspension of his car after hiting a huge pothole. He went to the town office the next day to complain and the lady said something like "You're not the first person to hit that hole and damage their car, but the town doesn't pay for road damage". My dad told his attorney the "You're not the first person..." line and some weeks/months later he received reimbursment from the town. If it's "known", it's neglegencence.

Pa does not reimburse. They only do if it was MARKED road work (like I would have hit it if it had a cone in front)

The rim i had a spare .. but the tire had a huge gash in it.. odd as i didn't notice any when inspecting the tire.

Damn tire cost me $180 ... which sucks ,as a similar wear tire would have cost me $50 .. but I needed it very soon.

So.. driving home from lunch, i notice a LARGE pothole right in my lane. I can't stop (snow covered) and I can't swerve left (oncoming car) .. but i did manage to only take the edge of the hole.

but it was deep enough to bend my rim. Does PennDOT reimburse for tire damage? This was unmarked, and it seems unlikely that in the few hours since the snow started the pothole formed...

I think if you complained enough that they would reimburst you.. but I didnt follow-up on how it was done.

Keefe

Archived