LegacyGT.com

EJ20X Swap Updates

For those who've performed the EJ20x/y swap:

• How's your LGT been running?

• How many miles or years has it been since the swap?

• Has the motor proven reliable or do you have a project on your hands?

• Has there been any issues with the non-functioning exhaust AVCS?

• What would you have done differently?

• Would you do another EJ20x swap?

My 2007 LGT died back in early February (ringland failure at 165k) and I've been going back and forth on what I want to do with the LGT. The car is still in really great shape inside and out, is practical for my driving/car needs, and still looks very sharp. I don't really want to get rid of it and not excited to lose the value in the car.

My local, independent Subaru shop quoted me $10k for parts and labor to build me a replacement, built motor (~300whp/tq). This is a bit steep for me.

I've priced out building a Subaru EJ257 small block, rebuilding the heads, upgrading the oiling components and a new turbo and quickly hit $5k. I'd build the motor myself. This is a little more manageable.

There is a local, reputable JDM motor importer who quoted me $1,000 for an EJ20x delivered to my door. If I went this route, I'd still upgrade the oil pickup, pump, do the timing belt and water pump, and upgrade the turbo. I'd be in it for $2,500. This is appealing since there I'll have a little more money for what I'd like to do with the car (e.g. suspension, wheels, etc.).

I don't have any goals for the car other than it to be a reliable and fun daily driver.

I did this swap on a 2005 LGT Wagon.

I kept the twin scroll turbo up setup.

I did not wire up the extra AVCS.

My tune is not great and needs more work.

In CA the biggest issue it smog. They are starting to check the tunes. I will probably have to put a stock tune back on the car for SMOG and it will throw a code that I need to revert more back to stock.

Due to smog, I wouldn't have done it. If the smog was not an issue, with a proper tune, it works fine.