LegacyGT.com

lower radiator hose clamp size

So the worm clamp I have on there is a little messed up (or at least it's weeping coolant) - does anyone know the diameter I would need for a t-bolt clamp? (I suppose I could just measure, but I was hoping someone knew off the top of their head!)

Thanks - so looks like 38.5mm. I need to replace the clamp onto the thermostat housing, so not so worried about cracking it - the worm drive clamp that I have on there now is not in great shape, so I am going to just replace it with a t-bolt clamp. (replacing with an OEM clamp requires removing the lower radiator hose and draining a bunch of reasonably new Subaru coolant. I can replace the worm drive clamp with a t-bolt clamp with the hose in place)

So it just donned on me that 38.5mm = 1.5", so not what I want. Went and checked what I have on the upper radiator hose and it's 44-51mm, and I measure at 49mm or so for the current position (on the outside of the clamp, so it's probably more like 47 or thereabout), so I'll just get that! (for the spring clamps, I find them kinda annoying, actually - particularly when they are in an awkward location for me - on the upper radiator hose, the OEM clamp was letting the hose slide back on the nipple, which was weird, so I had replaced it (based on Amazon, that was back in 2016) - that's the only time I removed it (upper radiator hose = less mess) - I really like the all stainless t-bolt clamps for uniform pressure. The worm drive ones that are the non-marring kind (with a loop that goes under the screw and part of the band that has holes in it) are good, and more readily available, though, so I have used those, too. Edited by DrD123

Sorry if it became misleading in a way. Yes it seems everyone refers to Subaru rad hoses as 1-1/2", even Subaru on the clamp label. I didnt actually measure the bungs or the hose insides though.

I do get what you are saying, when you are retrofitting things you may not go on common nomenclature and need to go for actual measurement on the part to be fitted.

Invested in these since the ole hands just aren't what they used to be :redface:

(https://www.amazon.com/Tools-85-51-250AFSBA-Locking/dp/B01I3H6R44/ref=sr_1_13?crid=11KOVMYMGYY7X&keywords=hose+clamp+pliers&qid=1645650074&sprefix=hose+clamp%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-13 and after the cheap pair fell apart very quickly. Worth every penny to me any they will be passed on to my son.

Good luck, hope it resolves your issues!
Worked beautifully! Another thing I like about most t-bolt clamps is the wider band (provided there's room for it) - they work really well, and apply pressure very uniformly