LegacyGT.com

5EAT Differences 2006 vs 2009?

I think I recalled seeing somewhere there was a change in the 5EAT somewhere around 2007 or 08. I have two of them that are dramatically different in how they upshift and am unsure why.

My 09 LGT 5EAT is around 90k miles and trans fluid always serviced regularly. It shifts fine but the upshifts are nowhere near as sharp as the other one - the 06. Not like it shifts slow or revs between shifts it is just different. I find no real issue with how it shifts - just that it is different.

My moms 06 Outback sedan 3.0H6 5EAT - about 92k miles and trans fluid always serviced regularly. Yes, the H6 is WAY smoother during acceleration than the LGT H4. This 5EAT when it upshifts under mid/full throttle it seems like it shifts WAY quicker. Smooth upshifts but it gives a noticeable kick felt even in the seat.

Is the difference in 5EAT the design 2006 vs 2009 or might it be something related to throttle mgmt by the ECM/PCM during upshifts that makes the two 5EAT so different in personality?

Design difference. Subaru wanted the "smoother" shift. To make a long story short, you get more slip.

Thanks. I thought it might be a design difference but did not think about a desired change like making it 'smoother' by Subaru. Is there a way to make the 2009 shift more like the 2006 does? I never really use the paddle shifters on my 09 LGT because it is kinda slow to respond.

I spent far too much of my own money attempting to modify the 08-09 valve body. Admittedly, I failed. Dave at Hexmods had some success, but never completed his 08-09 project.

I have heard that some tuners have been successful in using software to modify the shifting characteristics.

There is a lot of info buried in theses threads:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-ask-your-questions-185412.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-mods-giant-leaps-forward-160101.html

Yeah they changed it for '08-'09, completely different valve body, and the TCU uses CAN bus and such.

I've got my '08 tuned, and that helps a little with the shifting, but the biggest difference really is the valve body. I got mine from batgirl on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/usr/batgirl-111?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

With the modified valve body, shifts have a nice kick. You can't get the paddle shifter to react any faster though, but the shifts at least happen faster when they finally decide to.

How long have you been running the VB? What mods/power level are you running(stage 2, 3....). The price isn't horrible. Where are they from?

It would be great to crisp up the 5EAT. The thing I don't get is it decides at odd times to hold a gear or shift nice and crisp or sliiiiide into the next gear. I believe I may be suffering from the turbine speed sensor heading south (slide-bang from 2-3) so that will need addressing at some point. I can also tell a difference when the fluid is cool vs hot. This trans doesnt care for stop and go type driving like you are in heavy traffic. It gets lazy. I think an external cooler would help.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Trucool 4454. All my 5EAT's had one. At the drag strip I would have to change the fluid almost every pass, LOL.

"batgirl" is in Russia. He trolls this forum every now and again putting up illegal adds as he is not a vendor. I have no personal experience with his modifications.

Iirc it takes between 1/2 - 1 extra qt for the cooler and plumbing. I am sure I posted pics at some point. It was a fairly popular mod at one time.

If you search I am sure you will find more info. Install is easy with the bumper skin off. You have fluid lines running into the OEM radiator (factory cooler). They run right past the battery on the frame rail.