LegacyGT.com

Serpentine belt replacement

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i MT

about 180k miles

When I was doing the oil change last week I noticed that my serpentine belt was cracking. I've never replaced this unless if they replaced it when I did my timing belt at the shop at about 90k.

I watched a youtube video on how to replace this and it looks pretty straight forward but I have a couple questions.

-Are there any adjusts or aligning anything that I need to be aware of when doing the job?

-Is this something that I need to buy at the dealership or would one from autozone do the job?

When I replace this is there anything else I need to replace?

What other thing I should be aware of when doing this?

PXL_20220115_203146052.thumb.jpg.b41c822c9901903cb0a415a176ae03e3.jpg

A quality aftermarket part should do just fine. make sure when you get it back on it is not hanging off any of the pulleys. You might also take a few pics of the old one and how it is routed before removing it.

For replacements I like Goodyear, Continental, and dayco brands.

agreed - pull the belt, then check the pulley on the tensioner and the other idler pulley to make sure the bearings are ok - if they sound crunchy or have a lot of play, might as well replace them. The OEM belt is $26.95 (MSRP) so not really expensive. The tensioner is $107 (MSRP) and the idler is $50.

I replaced mine when I did my timing belt, and used an OEM belt (the tensioner and idler pulleys were both smooth and quiet, so I left them be). If you had a shop do it, and didn't ask them to replace the serpentine belt (and it's not listed on the receipt) odds are it's the original that is still on there.

It's very easy to do - one piece of advice, take a quick picture of the belt routing before you remove the belt (to save yourself the inevitable question of "now how did this thing go on there again?")

agreed - pull the belt, then check the pulley on the tensioner and the other idler pulley to make sure the bearings are ok - if they sound crunchy or have a lot of play, might as well replace them. The OEM belt is $26.95 (MSRP) so not really expensive. The tensioner is $107 (MSRP) and the idler is $50.

I replaced mine when I did my timing belt, and used an OEM belt (the tensioner and idler pulleys were both smooth and quiet, so I left them be). If you had a shop do it, and didn't ask them to replace the serpentine belt (and it's not listed on the receipt) odds are it's the original that is still on there.

It's very easy to do - one piece of advice, take a quick picture of the belt routing before you remove the belt (to save yourself the inevitable question of "now how did this thing go on there again?")

If the tensioner and idler pulley is not in the best condition can I still put the belt on and remove the belt again when I order the new parts?

I don't mind doing the job twice if I have to, just want to want order something and not needed it.

If the tensioner and idler pulley is not in the best condition can I still put the belt on and remove the belt again when I order the new parts?

I don't mind doing the job twice if I have to, just want to want order something and not needed it.

absolutely - you could also pull the old belt and take a look before ordering anything, then put it back on until the new belt and any other parts (if needed) arrive - that way you only pay shipping for parts once.

A quality aftermarket part should do just fine. make sure when you get it back on it is not hanging off any of the pulleys. You might also take a few pics of the old one and how it is routed before removing it.

For replacements I like Goodyear, Continental, and dayco brands.

Thanks! My local autozone has the Continental Belt in stock. I just hate going to the dealership for parts. Those stupid sales guy keep asking me to trade my car in for a new one. :spin: