LegacyGT.com

Stealth Satellite Antenna Install

danbart

I've been looking for the best way to install my XM antenna and just happened to find this jem hidden in the OB forum.

Decided to relocate it where it should be.

Satellite antenna installed in the spoiler of a Subaru Wagon:

All credit goes to MUDFOOT. Look at page 2, post #19

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18537&page=2

yup saw it in person, works great.

I tried doing something similar with my sedan, and putting the antenna in the trunk, but the metal seems to impede the signal. The spoiler must be a different material. Now it is sitting on top of the trunk lid closest to the rear window.

be careful about leaving it on your trunk -- people seem to be attracted to it and want to slide it around. My rear deck has scratches all over the area where my antenna was stuck. After 2-3 months of that I got sick of it and mounted it on the roof the proper way.

I still need to buff out those scratches.

What a great trick for wagon owners!

Yes, metal will block the RF signals from the satellite and terrestrial repeaters.

Some cars now come with XM antennas hidden inside the side mirror. The mirrors are usually not made of metal, so it works. I'd love to see someone try this in their Subaru ;)

There's a catch though ... most XM antennas seem to be designed in such a way that they require a metal ground plane under them for proper reception. It might be necessary to use an aftermarket antenna that does not have this requirement to make the "mirror hack" work properly.

Archived