LegacyGT.com

Oil leaking from timing cover

Did a weekly check on my 06 Legacy gt today and was blessed with another visit from the fluid fairy. Motor oil leaking from the bottom of the center timing cover. I'm guessing it's possibly the oil pump/seal. Not leaking enough to hit the ground but clearly needs to be addressed.

Was going to take a peak behind the cover today but the crank pulley is a pain. Anyone have tips on how to get it loose? It's a 5eat.

Is there anything else in that area that commonly leaks? I'd prefer to have the parts ready when I tear it apart.

Also I read that the timing belt should be replaced due to coming in contact with oil. Sucks because it was just done 7k miles ago. Would it be ok to just replace the belt or is a whole new timing kit required?

Any input/tips will be appreciated.

Were your cam seals not replaced during the timing job? If you had a shop do that job, I'd ring them and ask if they can look at it and see if they'll accept fault as nothing should be leaking from a timing cover after a belt job. That's a lot of work for a simple seal to not be addressed in the process.

Yea I can't break the nut loose on the pulley.

I highly doubt the shop did the cam seals. They did a bunch of work on the car and as I've become more knowledgeable I have noticed how many corners they cut. There were brand new parts I dropped off that never got installed, stuff missing from out of my car and things just hacked together.

I'm sure they wouldn't accept fault. I've yet to get reimbursed for the brand new boost controller I dropped off, had to purchase another one to get the car in the dyno back in June. Also they installed a different timing kit than I dropped off, didn't realize that until I pulled the drivers side cover to check it out.

Shop was recommended by the local Ct Subaru Facebook group but after the fiasco I don't even know if I'd bring the car back there.

Get a breaker bar and some metal tubing maybe, depends on your breaker bar length, brace it with the ground or the frame rail, pull the fuel pump fuse, coil pack plug or do something so it wont start/fire. Then crank the motor and let the car do all the work.

See the 2nd and 3rd picture.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2067378&postcount=26

Yea, I would stay far away from that shop and then post on that facebook group page about what happened so other people don't get parts stolen and replaced with cheaper parts. You don't have any real proof so you can't really do anything, unless you got all the work they were supposed to do in writing. I'm assuming everything was a verbal agreement.

Edited by Tehnation