LegacyGT.com

180k and never changed Front/Rear differential oil!

Got my Flame suit on. :lol:

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 6speed MT with almost 180k miles on it. I've never changed the front/rear differential oil. I don't have any issue that I am aware of from not changing it. What issues or symptoms I should look for?

Is it too late to change the front/rear differential oil?

I heard that with transmission fluid if you don't change it on an older car, don't change it or you will cause more issue. I don't know if this is the same with the front/rear differential oil.

Most cars survive fine without changing the diff fluid, as long as there is fluid in the diff.

If there is no lash/whine, should be just fine.

No, the diff fluid is not like auto trans fluid where some recommend not changing at higher mileages if it has never been changed earlier in its life.

The reasoning is that in a fine tolerance mechanism like a transmission if you havent been changing oil early on and keeping it clean, dislodging years of build up can f-up the works, especially in the valve body area with lots of tiny passages to clog up.

In a differential with a bunch of gears and bearings? No such consideration.

On a 6MT your front diff shares fluid with the transmission, so if you’ve changed the trans fluid you have changed the front diff fluid.

I changed my clutch at 70k and 140k so I am guessing I am good with the front, just need to do the back.

Most cars survive fine without changing the diff fluid, as long as there is fluid in the diff.

If there is no lash/whine, should be just fine.

What is "lash/whine"? Will he be loud, can I hear it inside the car or will I need someone on the outside to hear it.

What is "lash/whine"? Will he be loud, can I hear it inside the car or will I need someone on the outside to hear it.

Lash or slop causing a perceptible delay from stepping on the gas to getting the wheels turning. Whine, well, whining noise from the diff.

Basically if you cant feel or hear anything, the diffs should be a-ok.