LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy question

my girl's boyfriend has the 2005 legacy non-turbo and he told me the other day he had a misfire and the one cylinder had low compression. i pulled the codes and he has p0102-p0113-p0691 so 2 of them look like they may be related to the air filter? who knows when it was last changed. i did find some topics that said a bad pvc valve can set those codes also. and the 691 i related to the radiator fan so those codes do not sound like they are related to the misfire and low compression.

however, when i had him start it for me i heard a rattle coming from the driver's side front. what cylinder 4 maybe? and so i looked up parts on rock auto and i see it does not have a lifter system but is a solid type setup. so i guess what i'm leaning at is on of the rocker's adjustments has loosened up and caused the rocker to hit the cam and rattle. i had that years ago on a 289 engine when i put real heave valve springs on it and it started to pull the rocker studs out and it would make that kind of sound.

so can anyone tell me if sounds like something that might happen with a loose rocker? the rest of the engine sounds good. he is going to stop over and let me check the p0691 code and also see if the air filter is bad and needs cleaning. so what i will do is put a stethoscope on the engine and listen around it for where that sound is loudest. but it did sound like it was the rockers. thanks, bp.

So it's a 05 2.5i. Change the air filter, oil, and if it did not have plugs changed in a long time do it. You have to take care of these cars or they will have some issues. Just do the regular maintenance to it. Also winter is coming up and it's time to check all fluids, and get it ready for those cold days.

thanks, i figure a new filter if that is the reason it is throwing those 2 codes. i may have him put in some engine flush just before he changes the oil he favors lucas based on what his dad uses. back years ago i used fuel oil for about 5 minutes but that was on older cars and 30 or 40w oil i do not know if i would do that in cars that use 0 or 5 or 10w oil but now i change out the oil at 3 to 5,000 miles. and i have not had issues with sludge in my cars anymore. but back years ago i got old cars that others had and you know how that is. anyway thanks