LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy Premium won't stop blowing audio fuse

My girlfriend and I just picked up a 2012 legacy premium this last Wednesday. We bought it knowing that the radio didn't work and the dealer told us that they believed it to probably just be a fuse. Upon looking I replaced a few fuses but the 25a radio fuse keeps blowing even when the car is off. I tried to put it in with the battery disconnected but still with no luck. If anyone has any ideas as to where I should start looking they would be greatly appreciated.

Agree talking to the dealer is worthwhile. If no luck there I woudl try to determined if the short is internal or external to the radio.

Disconnect the battery

Pull it out of the dash and disconnect it

Put the fuse back in and reconnect the battery

If the fuse blows with the radio disconnected the short is in the harness .... start with the connector and work your way toward the fuse panel. Look specifically at places where the harness comes in contact with the dash.

If the fuse doesn't blow, the short is very likely internal to the radio - replace it - junkyard or aftermarket

• 1 month later...
If you havent resolved this. I chased a similar issue for years. My center info gauge(the one that reads fuel stats) would keep getting fried, but it wouldnt blow the fuse. I replaced it twice and said to hell with it and left it in after the second time. After that I would periodically blow the fuse that ran my nav/radio/keyless entry. Which also ran the center info unit. Come to find out my bottom door sill lights were not installed and just sitting inside the door. And I guess every now and then would short out on the metal inside the door. Since installing those properly I havent fried the center info unit or the fuse, going on about a year. Anyway, something to consider. The fuse it blew was for the bcu. I think its #34 in the engine bay fuse box