LegacyGT.com

Hydrolocked? 2017 Legacy H6

Hi everyone. I made a terrible mistake a drove thru a deeper puddle than anticipated last night. The car stalled. I was able to push it to the side of the road and out of the puddle and get the car towed home. But now it seems I'm dealing with a hydrolock issue.

I've pulled all the spark plugs but one. The drivers side, all the way in the back. I can't seem to get my socket wrench on it. I ordered some extensions and u-joints and waiting for the pickup email now.

When I pulled the spark plug on the passenger side, all the way to the front of the car a significant amount of water came out.

Once I get the last spark plug out, how do I go about cranking a push to start to get the water out? Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can’t help with the answer to your question, but you may need to also check the fuel canister. This subaruoutback.org forum topic explains more.

You would probably be aware there is a chance that the engine oil will now have water in it. If you start the engine, any water will mix with the oil. If you don't start it most of the water will be at the bottom of the sump, so do an oil & filter change first. You will then need to do another oil & filter change after starting the engine. I recently went through this scenario with my 4-stroke outboard after a flood (although with that the water came via the exhaust valves & past the rings).

Obviously check the air filter element.

I hope you haven’t done too much damage.

Edited by XT-sub
extra info added.

With spark plugs removed (all of them) push to start like you are starting the engine. The engine will crank for a few seconds and then stop automatically.

The advice above is good and ASAP I'd get that oil changed and get it cranked over. The cylinders will rust severely internally very quickly. And change that air filter.

The sooner you can get the plugs back in it and get it fired up the better.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone. Just an update to this post. Although I was able to get all the plugs out and replaced the filter, oil and oil filter, the car never ran right afterwards. The car was totaled by the insurance. I got a decent payout and there seems to be a 2019 Legacy 3.6R available at a local dealership as a CPO. Will be checking it out.