LegacyGT.com

Hard shifts when cold

Got a 98 LGT 4AT. When the car is cold, and its like 25 degrees or less, when first started is shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. It also seems like it lags or takes longer to shift then when warm. I am not sure if this is normal. Its not taching out or anything when it shifts, but if you drive one a regular basis you when it should shift. I'll be in the car sometimes like, "shift" then a few seconds later it does. The car seems fine any other time, no slipping or anything. Anybody know the cure or have similar problem?

there is a temp gage in the trany pan. if the floud is below 32 dregess the computer will hold the gears longer and also not let it in to overdrive.

as for slow shifting that is calculated buy the at computer by engine load.

and tps inpute. this is also a lurining coumputer.

something that may help is disconecting the battery for about 10 seconds (or more) and reconecting it. This erases all memory from the computer about the driver's style. It holds shifts longer for more aggressive drivers.

I have a question... I often hear a swooshing sound sorta like splashing water. I assume its the transmission fluid getting squirted through the torque converter, but it didnt do it until i recently got the fluid changed. Not enough fluid?

Archived