LegacyGT.com

Coolant overflows from expansion tank

I'm starting to really suspect the head gasket is the ultimate cause of my problem. Whenever I drive it and lean a bit on the turbo, the coolant in the turbo tank gets displaced and doesn't fully refill on cool down. Probably the exhaust gasses displacing the fluid and filling the reservoir. I don't know why the block tests are always negative, and the cooling system easily passes any pressure tests, but head gasket is the only thing I think it could be at this point.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it was helpful. I've gotta try to figure out my next move for this thing.

Times being what they are, I've got to find a cheap way to get this thing on the road again. I've always looked at head gasket repair chemicals as snake oil, so I have never used them. Does anyone have any advice on if the stuff works at all, or if it is just snake oil?

I'm also capable of doing my own repairs as far as wrenching on a car goes. Is it possible to do a head gasket job with the engine in the car? Does anyone have head gasket brand recommendations?

Yeah max, you are probably right. It's the next step I should take in case it isn't the head gasket. Im stubborn about working on cars myself. I don't like taking my cars anywhere for other people to fix. But I don't know a lot about these cars yet. I'll look into some local places.

The local shop can tell you what's wrong, then you can decide if you fix it or have them do it.

You can do the HG's in the car, but it's much easier to pull the engine and do them the right way.

Your going to have the heads decked and make sure the block deck is flat. Then you can do ARP headstuds, new clutch if that's what you have.

Yeah, this can get expensive.

I'm using OEM HG's in my wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The repair kit, my trusted mechanic, has had good luck using it on Chevy engines that have a cracked head. He has developed his own process to have good results.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ive made an appointment on friday with a local shop called M45. They are a specialty subaru shop with good ratings, so I'm hoping they can help me out. The technician I talked to suspected the head bolts could be an issue, as he had the same thing happen to his legacy.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will update the thread after the appointment.

Guys at m45 say it's a head gasket, so I am tearing the car apart now. Going to go with their recommended six star mls head gaskets and get some new ARP head studs at the same time. Also taking the heads to get machined at their shop.

Is their any other recommendations that you guys have while everything is apart? I still don't know these cars so we'll, so I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Guys at m45 say it's a head gasket, so I am tearing the car apart now. Going to go with their recommended six star mls head gaskets and get some new ARP head studs at the same time. Also taking the heads to get machined at their shop.

Is their any other recommendations that you guys have while everything is apart? I still don't know these cars so we'll, so I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

replace all thing and hoses that might look worn out. It needed go OEM on things. take your time also.