LegacyGT.com

Crawford Performance

I think I will end up using them. Again, I am aiming for longevity with this pile. If performance were my goal I would look elsewhere vehicle wise. I mean no offense by that and I truly like driving the car.

Crawford- OEM shortblock and install kit which includes everything from gaskets to spark plugs and oil/filter....$2975

Local stealerships- OEM shortblock and just gaskets is around $3300. Still need the extras.

Have been in touch with JMP to figure out the turbo route. I figure now is the time to address that....not after a new engine goes in and running.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

If you are going with an OEM shortblock, check Heuberger as well. Their list price for the short block is $1936+shipping for an EJ255 so you might save a couple hundred on the short block and still be able to order the installation kit from Crawford.

If you are going with an OEM shortblock, check Heuberger as well. Their list price for the short block is $1936+shipping for an EJ255 so you might save a couple hundred on the short block and still be able to order the installation kit from Crawford.
They no longer ship. I guess too many complaints of damage in transit and they drew the line. Thanks for looking.

I need to read some more as always but is there a list, hopefully not too lengthy, that encompasses all that should be addressed during an engine is out situation?

Turbo

Oil pickup

Engine mounts

Vacuum lines

Etc.....

Time and life put this in the hands of a good shop. Whatever parts I bring he will install. Longevity is the goal.

It's not a Subaru only shop. They do performance work on all makes and models. Before the flaming starts, there aren't any specialty shops near me and the son, who will be working on the car, has a tastefully built WRX and is also building a bug eye to romp around in. I am pretty confident it will turn out ok. Again, just looking for this thing to last. Not sure last and turbo Subarus go in the same sentence but I have made other questionable decisions in my life lol.

My experience is limited to only 4 Subaru engines on our cars only of them being turbo but based on what I have learned do get the heads serviced (valve seats and vales seals, heads decked), short block can be stock and if you are not doing the work yourself ask for warranty long enough for you to get confident the work is done right... No shop is perfect and all dealers/engine shops I worked with eventually had screw-ups.

In fact for my older son's 05OB I paid the same money that would cost me a new SB (~2K) to get the old block done - new pistons, rings, decked, etc. My reasoning was that in case isht hits the fan I didn't want to end up between 3 parties - engine shop (they were doing the heads too), dealer (SB) and myself putting it all together. He's put about 50K on it since and the engine is going strong with no issues at all.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

so many horror stories on here start with "nit a subie shop but it will be ok". Best of luck with your build.

both subie only shops I've used have messed up engines for me, so Ive no room to criticize

Where are you taking your cars to? I know Ecotech, 6star motorsports and one other one in my area only do Subaru, and maybe Evo. One builds a few rally cars. I would drive 10 hours if I had to for a real flat 4 shop.

Just do not be in a hurry to get it done. these car are very sensitive lol :lol:. they will break your heart if you do not do it right.

original builder of my wagon did an amazing job. A couple years later, quality had dropped and they f'ed the engine after replacing the 5mt. Second shop was a long time subie shop that had spun off a performance shop. First engine was ok. Second one not nearly so well.

Have a line on another but its 5 hours away.

Just do not be in a hurry to get it done. these car are very sensitive lol [emoji38]. they will break your heart if you do not do it right.

No rush here. I have a gas pig new Ram to drive. Would just like the car to bop around in and keep some of the miles off the truck.

Link to OEM shortblock...https://crawfordperformance.com/products/subaru-oem-ej25-2004-present-sti-05-09-lgt-04-13-fxt?variant=1254286131219. $2057.14 plus approximately $125 for shipping.

Should just change the name to make a build thread but here goes the parts list so far:

-OEM shortblock

-Heads sent out for freshening/repairs

-JMP rebuilt VF40

-IAG turbo oil feed lines

- which banjos? Thinking unrestricted and no filters....

-Group N engine mounts and pitch stop

-oem gaskets...an assortment

Edited by whitexc

How do they f an engine from replacing a transmission?

they plugged a water line with a red mechanic rag. Apparently didn't pull it out before start up. Found it in the head gasket after it started spewing white smoke shortly after pickup. They didn't own responsibility for messing up. It turns out smoking dope and working on subies doesn't work out well

No rush here. I have a gas pig new Ram to drive. Would just like the car to bop around in and keep some of the miles off the truck.

Link to OEM shortblock...https://crawfordperformance.com/products/subaru-oem-ej25-2004-present-sti-05-09-lgt-04-13-fxt?variant=1254286131219. $2057.14 plus approximately $125 for shipping.

Should just change the name to make a build thread but here goes the parts list so far:

-OEM shortblock

-Heads sent out for freshening/repairs

-JMP rebuilt VF40

-IAG turbo oil feed lines

- which banjos? Thinking unrestricted and no filters....

-Group N engine mounts and pitch stop

-oem gaskets...an assortment

are you getting the $800 sb install kit?

are you getting the $800 sb install kit?
Yes, for the money it doesn't seem too bad and I have a coupon code to use towards that. No price breaks on the short block.

When I ordered my short block I ordered it from https://www.flatironstuning.com/

I've bought almost everything I've needed directly from these guys! Awesome dudes to work with and always willing to help!

Here's my build thread. I just threw in the engine this last weekend.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-lgt-5spd-ej257-type-ra-build-282192.html

Not sure that is the link to your build thread k00l....

Ordered short block, install kit and AOS from Crawford today. For the skeptic's, and most of us are, hit their website up and do some reading. It aligns with a few things that have roamed the net in the past. Detonation is bad. That crap in your intake is bad.

Also ordered Killer B pickup for the oil pan.

Next up is getting the turbo sent out to JMP.

After that, gather leftover gaskets, seals and mounts that need replacing "while it's apart".

Input from those that have been there is appreciated, very much so. Again, going for a driver here. Thanks all.

Edited by whitexc

Not sure that is the link to your build thread k00l....

Ordered short block, install kit and AOS from Crawford today. For the skeptic's, and most of us are, hit their website up and do some reading. It aligns with a few things that have roamed the net in the past. Detonation is bad. That crap in your intake is bad.

Next up is getting the turbo sent out to JMP.

After that, gather leftover gaskets, seals and mounts that need replacing "while it's apart".

Input from those that have been there is appreciated, very much so. Again, going for a driver here. Thanks all.

Hey white....I clicked on the link it went straight to my build thread.

Hey white....I clicked on the link it went straight to my build thread.
I have issues with this site and Tapatalk.

When I click on it goes to a thread about reviews, with articles from pre 04 where they talked about the new body style LGT. Odd. I would read all of your info if I could. I'll try a search. Thanks

I just went through all of this for the first time as well. I did the build myself. I bought most of my parts from flat irons and can't say enough good things about their service...multiple long, amd surely annoying, phone calls and they were always forthcoming with information and more than willing to help. My ulitimate goal was reliability but threw some mild upgrades at her to maximize my turbo's potential.

It was a long and arduous process never having done anything like this before, and I learned a lot. The motor first started 2 days ago after being down 2.5 months and after 100 miles is running strong and seems very healthy.

Some peep here were very helpful and I really appreciate it and would love to help as much as I can as I'm able in turn.

Yep I built mine from flatirons as well. Those guys are AMAZING. Machine shops and mechanics are hit or miss. Even the best shops have a dud employee from time to time so double check all the work you farm out.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/aloha-new-member-who-swore-off-subaru-years-ago-a-story-of-murder-and-ressurection.524934/