LegacyGT.com

My 2020 XT Touring XT. How much?

The car drives great, but the seats just don’t work for me, and the electronics just aren’t doing it for me either. I’m less than 1/2way through my lease but the KBB trade in is the same as my payoff ($31,000 with 18,000 miles).

Think I can do better than $31k?

If you had a Forester, you could get over list. Sedans don't move.

You will likely not do better than 30k. Set your expectations at the low end of the private party sale number.

You have 3 options:

1) Sell to a broker This is the best option. If you're crunched for time, you can get the maximum payout from Carvana, Vroom, or CarMax (regional). It's no fuss, and they handle the messy paperwork/bank/title stuff. Brokers may sell your car at retail or wholesale.

2) Sell it privately. This is going to be a HUGE pain since you don't own the car outright and have the title in hand. Be prepared to spend at least 10-20 business hours plus 10 evening hours prepping the car and working everything through. Your car should sell in 30-45 days if you're in the midwest, northeast, or Rockies. Wholesalers will inevitably contact you and promise top dollar. They'll get you to agree to some basic terms and tell you where to take the car -- DON'T DO IT. The dealer they tell you to take it to will say the car is worth much less and waste your time. A friend had the dealer they went to note damage on the carfax which everyone could see after. Only deal with people willing to meet you in a public place on your terms. Only accept payment via a cashier's check that you see the bank hand the person. If they come with a check, it could be fake. Also, if you try to sell privately THEN decide to sell to Carvana or Vroom, you will get less. The more times the VIN has been run through databases, the less you'll get.

3) Sell to a Subaru dealer get the VIN for your car. Call every Subaru dealer within 200 miles. Tell them your needs have changed and you want to unload your car. A dealer might want it so they can turn around and sell it as a certified pre-owned. Carvana will still likely pay you more.

Make sure you prep your car for sale with a good wash and full detail job. I can't stress this enough.

Edited by jMeG