LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy 3.0R Limited Performance Issue

Hey guys, recently purchased a '08 Legacy 3.0r limited. First off I'm definitely not new to the subaru scene, done it all, seen it all. But I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to the subaru community for advise/suggestions. So, the issues(s) I'm currently having are 1: the tachometer doesn't function when the engine is running though it does sweep with the other gauges when the ignition is turned on. I removed the instrument cluster to inspect the wiring & circuit board, but didn't find anything that stands out. I might inspect the ecm next. Any suggestions/thoughts? Issue 2: when accelerating under full throttle(fast & furious style)I get full power for a few seconds, then there is resistance for a short moment/holds back, then let's go & full power again, might happen once or twice, most noticeably in 1st & 2nd gear. Ive tried all 3 driving modes; Intelligent, Sport & Sport+ but nothing changes. No check engine light(frustrating), floor mat not stuck under the go pedal, 33psi in tires & all round, Flux Capacitor at full charge & no running issues any other time. Thinking of checking the throttle body, coils/plugs, avs solenoids...any ideas???

Update: Tonight I went for a drive on the highway, hit a good size bump & the Tach came right to life, worked normal until using the off ramp & slowing down, then went dead. Off course at that point, I decided to perform the classic, "wrap on the dash" technique my father taught me years ago, but with no prevail. So I got back on the highway, found another bump & the tach started jumping up & down with no obvious rhythm, then went dead again.

It's almost impossible to replicate this(not with lack of trying, aiming for every pedestrian crossing the street, J/K)or predict when the tach will work again.

So, I'm leaning towards a faulty tach....or???

Tach signal is one wire going from the ECU to the gauge cluster. The cluster receives it, processes it and displays it on the tach. The gauge cluster is it's own computer.

It's connector B136 ©, terminal 22 at the ECU. Pink wire from ECU. Red with white stripe going into gauge cluster connector

Not 100% sure on the hesitation. If the VVL system isn't switching properly it is a very noticeable hesitation and then surge of power. You can do a down and dirty test and just disconnect the VVL connectors and see if the problem goes away. Other than that, if there's no codes, I'd need a datalog when it's doing it to try and troubleshoot further.

The fact that the tach sweeps makes me think ecu to cluster issue. If the car has a remote starter you may want to try and track down where the tach connection was made. Could have damaged the wire. Also inspect, unplug and re seat both the connector at the cluster and at the ecu. Make sure to disconnect the battery first though.

Well, I had some suggestions buuuuuuuuuuut

Wow, nobody!? Guess I can't count on the subaru/legacy community for advise, thanks guys!

now I seem to have caught a case of the nopes.

Wow, nobody!? Guess I can't count on the subaru/legacy community for advise, thanks guys!

Well, I had some suggestions buuuuuuuuuuut

now I seem to have caught a case of the nopes.

what's up with newbies these days? too much time on fb? Get used to immediate replies from other mom's basement dwellers?

that title ensured only response was going to come after all the more interesting titles had been browsed.