LegacyGT.com

sunroof problems!

Since I bought the car (05 outback), my sunroof never worked properly. Here is the current situation:

-the small front glass panel no longer raises

-I can open the larger glass panel

-when I try to close the larger glass panel, I have to hit the button several times as it closes 'step by step'

-the sunshade panel cannot be fully closed now. There is an inch gap, which is quite annoying when driving during sunny days

-One of the guiding rods, for the sunshade, is partially broken and does not move along with the sunshade; it just rattles on bumpy roads.

I tried adding grease to the mechanism, inspected it. But I am just not sure what the actual problem is besides one of the messed up rods.

Any thoughts?

Sunroof on my wagon was not operational in years. Similar issue with yours - the front lid would not raise in one corner bending the whole front frame.

The large panel slide rails need to be cleaned and then greased. I had similar issue with having to use the switch couple of times to have it close. I think the circuit reacts to current draw by sunroof motor.

For the sunshade panel I got it to me move freely after cleaning the sliding tracks with regular cotton swabs and alcohol. Then grease rails *slightly* with some lightweight silicon grease. It did help.

Now that the car has a place in the garage I plan on taking on the sunroof at some point and fixing it. It was nice to ride with it fully open on warm days.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On cleaning the rails - it does help to get access to most of length if the glass panels are removed. Just make sure you count the spacers on each corner *before* you take the glass panels off.

Once you have the front tilting glass panel off you can also reach into front drain holes and clean them up as well as around them. I had all kinds of crap in there, mostly dried up/calked up pollen and couple of dead bugs/spiders - that mix ended up blocking drain hose on the drivers side and causing leaks.

I also did clean the whole length of the tracks when I had the headliner off for cleaning. It wasn't too bad in the rear actually to my surprise.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K