LegacyGT.com

4EAT or 5EAT compatibility: 94 JDM Legacy GT EJ20H

I have a 1994 Legacy GT Steproof with the EJ20H motor and some sort of 4 speed transmission. Last weekend, 3rd gear went out :spin: and my local euro/jap mechanic said I need a new transmission (another tranny shop agreed).

I can't find a replacement JDM 4speed transmission for sale or information on what 4speed was in the vehicle. I know it's a 4 speed but did it have another part or feature to handle the TT engine? VTD? Final drive ratio of 4.111? 4.444? Something else?

Does anyone know what is the compatibility of another 4EAT transmissions (maybe from a USDM model) or a 5EAT for my 94 Legacy GT GB with the EJ20H?

Thanks!

I would think they would be physically the same as other 4eats but with different gear ratios. There's a long sticker on the belhousing on the drivers side that has the model number, look it up and that'll tell you all the gear ratios. It might be on the passenger side on a jdm trans, not totally sure but it's like 20 digits long, you can't miss it.

Thx, Brighton.

I found out that I have a TY102YBABA in my JDM 94 GT wagon. I haven't been able to find a replacement with that model number yet.

But I have found a couple TV1A4YBAAB, which according to this website on Subaru Legacy Transmissions - https://legacypic.uk/transmission/search.php?type=tz102ybaba - has the same specs.

Would that TV trans work without any issues in place of my TY? If not, what are the issues that I would expect to encounter swapping them?

Thx

I may be over simplifying it but as long as the gear ratios match, it's the same gear ratio that's in the rear diff, the speed sensor is the same and the axle mounting type is the same then I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

I may be over simplifying it but as long as the gear ratios match, it's the same gear ratio that's in the rear diff, the speed sensor is the same and the axle mounting type is the same then I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

Welp. Then I'll do it.