LegacyGT.com

Deactivating certain 'features' in my '18 2.5i?

Hi All, new Subaru owner and new around here, too. I did do some digging and searching on these boards (and tried Google) to try to find existing resolution to these questions before posting, so if I did miss something in my search, just point me in the correct direction. I've got two questions:

1. So I got a tow hitch installed on my Legacy, and put a bike rack on that tow hitch yesterday. Once it was on, I put the car in reverse to make sure it didnt block the backup camera (it is visible on the camera, but definitely isnt blocking it), and it now triggers the proximity alarm while in reverse. Is there any way to deactivateor disable that proximity alarm?

2. This one, I've seen a lot of complaints about when Googled, but not fix: The remote start feature on the car shuts off whenever the door is unlocked/opened, even if done so with the key FOB. Apparently, this is a "security" feature (although, it just seems a design flaw to me). Any fixes for this?

Thanks on advance for any help!

1 and 2 the answer is not you want to hear. Not possible.

1.The camera is using a wide angle view but your attachments are in the view range, it believes an object is in the backup range.

2. The only solution I recall was to replace the factory/ OEM with an aftermarket.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is good for the Soul.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Try touching and holding the RAB icon in the lower left of the backup screen when you engage reverse. This disables rear advanced braking. It may not disable the alarm but it won't slam the brakes on you if it thinks the bike is an obstacle.

The remote start.. IIWII. Subaru doesn't want someone breaking in and driving away I guess...

So I got a tow hitch installed on my Legacy, and put a bike rack on that tow hitch yesterday.

It's worth noting that Subaru does not support the installation or use of a tow hitch on any Gen 6 Legacy, so it makes sense that they wouldn't make provisions for any problems or inconvenience a hitch might incur.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It's worth noting that Subaru does not support the installation or use of a hitch on any Gen 6 Legacy, so it makes sense that they wouldn't make provisions for any problems or inconvenience a hitch might incur.

Really? I bought the hitch from Subaru...

I bought the hitch from Subaru...

Part number? Perhaps whoever you bought from sold you a third-party hitch. There is a genuine Subaru accessory hitch kit for the Outback, but not for the Legacy. Subaru literature explicitly says that towing is not supported on the Legacy. (Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that an aftermarket hitch won't work OK for your intended use.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

... what stops the Outback from doing the same.

??? (Context?)

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

... and it now triggers the proximity alarm while in reverse. Is there any way to deactivateor disable that proximity alarm?

If DougKelly20’s suggestion doesn’t work, try plugging in a blank or wired trailer plug to the Legacy’s trailer socket to see if that fixes the problem.

That disables the rear parking sensors on the Australian spec SJ Forester & gen5 Liberty (Australian Japanese built version of the Legacy) so there is a chance it might disable what you want on your Legacy.

If it doesn’t work it is probably because the US Legacy isn’t recommended to tow a trailer whereas our Liberty can legally tow the same weight trailer as our Outback (Outback & Liberty have the same factory fitted front mounted CVT cooler & CVT cooler/warmer but there are probably other Liberty/Legacy differences).