LegacyGT.com

Driving Legacy from Eastern coast to Bay Area

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Threw a shake out of my window somewhere in georgia and it came right back inside the car and splattered all over the side of my car and the entire interior. I had to pull over at a gas station and spend about 2 hours cleaning the inside of my car and change my clothes. My fiancee was laughing at me and I think so was the gas station attendant. Looked like someone had pucked strawberry all along side of my car. I still had to smell strawberry shake for the rest of my trip to Miami. Not a good day, not a good day at all.

Most I've driven is about 1000 miles, from Evansville, In to Webster, TX in one day in a rental car. 15 long hours of driving, would've been a bit better if I wouldn't have left Evansville at 1pm and arrived Webster after 4am, but I actually didnt have any bad traffic so it was good. It's just a matter of a well planned trip and always prep some alternate routes just in case. I also drove from Orlando, Fl to Evansville, In two weeks before but was about 850 miles and only traffic I got was in Nashville, TN which wasn't so bad given that it was 5pm on a monday. I highly recommend this type of driving only to the individuals who really like driving and enjoy being in the car and enjoy the view.

What kind of expenses did any of you run into that you had not planned for?

I had to have the windshield replaced in Salt Lake City after a thumb sized rock was kicked up and smashed into the windshield directly in front of my face. The windshield held up, but my sphinkter almost didn't. Fortunatly that's covered by my insurance...only due to haveing learned that leason in an earlier "adventure".

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

na_soak-

Take your time and enjoy the drive. I've only driven to St. Louis and back and it was a nonstop 3 driver arrangement.

Nor*Cal is nice and a great place to hang your hat. Where abouts will you be living?

The job I got is in San Francisco, so I guess I'll hanging around there. Anyone knows what neighborhood is good to rent an apartment or buy a house?

NA_Soak,

Been there... done that. I drove my car from San Diego to Maryland for Army Training, then back to San Diego, then to Washington state, then back to San Diego, and finally back to Washington (driving back to San Diego for Christmas too :) ). My trip to Maryland took about 3.5-4 days, but the drive back to San Diego only took 1.5 :icon_bigg ! In fact, I've logged on 30,000+ miles already and the car is only a year old and still running strong! Just stay on top of the oil changes and keep an eye out on the fluids. Most importantly rest (or power nap *15 min.*) about every 2-3 hours and speed when no one is looking (New Mexico only took 2 hours to drive by ;)). Having water or some high caffeine beverage to drink or snack on while you drive helps too. Other than that, drive carefully and god bless you on a safe trip and successful job in the West Coast.

-Fred

VahKil --- Fortunately never had any "unexpected expenses" in any modern cars. Will doing cross country in my aircooled bug, after running at an accelerated rated for a long time I broke a generator pully, MELTED the distributor cap and lost a tailpipe. Had Spares for all, but when driving a 25 year old bug (at the time) you usually have these spares anyways.

VahKil --- Fortunately never had any "unexpected expenses" in any modern cars. Will doing cross country in my aircooled bug, after running at an accelerated rated for a long time I broke a generator pully, MELTED the distributor cap and lost a tailpipe. Had Spares for all, but when driving a 25 year old bug (at the time) you usually have these spares anyways.

That is a scarily feeling, the car broke down in the middle of no where. :icon_surp Good planning

. You must of had whole set of tools in that bug to change those parts.

Archived